Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

8.18.2008

Update

I have been awfully quiet this week. So many things are happening right now. Certain Someone returned Friday for a meeting on Saturday. He then flew back this afternoon to Sweden for work. Over 3 weeks he has been away! This weekend we were so exhausted as I had a major event to work , a funeral,and he was in his meeting.
I woke Saturday to attend my Aunt "B's" funeral. I think we all have an Aunt B in our family tree. Not to speak ill of the dead, but a somewhat lovable, gossipy, recluse who lives with family members for all her life.Her obituary summed up her life in her devotion to her nieces and nephews as she was childless. Aunt B was something in her day and I heard many a hair raising tale.One of those old southern African American belles that was so fair she could be mistaken for white. Get the picture?Well anyway the funeral was almost comical as there were some family feuds brewing ,as is common when sides divide over care of an elderly Alzheimer stricken relative. The trouble makers who did absolutely nothing in regards to care showed up very late and combative.The following scenes played out like the final scene in the movie". Imitation of Life". Fannie Hurst could not have written it better. Picture the long lost favored niece arriving and throwing herself on the coffin begging for forgiveness as she just didn't have it in her to be there for her. I felt very uncomfortable and knowing the niece as I do ,had to look into my purse to avoid laughing as she started reciting Aunt B -isms to the amazed crowd.She missed her calling for sure. The minister saved the day as he definitely picking up on the weird vibes.I have been going to way to many funerals lately but Aunt B had a very long life. If only I live so long!
I then went to work at the society event of the year in Chicago. A wedding for a heiress whose families products would be something indispensable to most Americans. To rich to comphrehend!Anyway it was spectacular all day affair I witnessed from the service side.Talk about long night. When I got home at 3pm Certain Someone was "up" on Swedish time. It didn't make sense to adjust as he was turning right back around. Sunday we were just slugs to exhausted to move. I attempted to cook , but it wasn't my finest hour.My marinade on the skirt steak was a little to tangy from to much lime. I didn't even take a picture.
I just got a great new cookbook that I promise to cook from to get motivated again. La Bonne Cusine ,The Original Companion to French Home Cooking by Madame St Ange( translated by Paul Aratow). This was the book that Julia Child leaned on and was originally published in 1927. So bear with me readers.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

31 comments:

giz said...

Don't you just love when life feels like total chaos and filled with so much diversity that you just don't know what to do first? Take time to smell the coffee.

Megan said...

I'm glad you got to see "Certain Someone" even if only for a short time. That cookbook sounds like great motivation! Cant wait to see what you make.

Mary said...

It's exhausting just hearing how busy your life is! And your new cookbook sounds great!

Heather said...

I hope when my time comes, people will have to look in their purse to bite back the laughter. :D

Why do we always need photos? Cookbooks don't all have 'em. I bet your steak was just delicious.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Don't worry, we will wait for your recipes and be patient! That cookbook sounds interesting...

Every family has such a member (similar)...

Cheers,

Rosa

Emily said...

At least the funeral was a bit amusing. I do the purse thing too, where I rummage through it. I do that to look like I'm busy.

Laura Paterson said...

The family set-up sounds like a branch of mine! You must be exhausted - kick back with a cocktail and put off the cooking 'til another day... (We'll wait!)

Looking forward to hearing more from that book tho (as I have only recently discovered Julia!)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

What a week you have had. At least you got to see "certain someone" for a little bit!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Courtney,
Overload doesn't work well for me either especially when it entails both emotional and physical exertion.

Take a break and return with a new recipe from that wonderful new book. Things will look brighter:) and remember...

stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS!

Jen said...

Wow, Courtney, you've had your hands more than full.

I'm sorry about yet another funeral, but if she lived a long life and was suffering severely from Alzheimer's then I'm sure it was a comfort on some level, too.

I hope you and CS don't keep being ships passing in the night.

The other event sure sounds like something, too! I'll bet you're learning a ton on that job.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what was happening....sounds very very busy.... Hope you have time in between to catch your breath!

Thistlemoon said...

I am exhausted just reading this post Courtney! I am so sorry for your loss and all the chaos that is surrounding it right now. I think it might be time to revisit the Pandantini!

Christine said...

Wow, what a funeral! I've only ever read books/watched movies where that happened, but I've always known it actually happens somewhere!

Take your time, we'll be here when you blog next. :)

Deborah said...

You always have the best stories!! You sound so busy - don't overdo it! We'll be eagerly waiting for recipes from your new cookbook!

Dagmar said...

Hi,

I'm sorry for yet another funeral (sounded like movie for sure).

I hope you find some time to relax and take a deep breath!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

That's right! We'll be here when you're ready! :) I'm sad for you that CS is gone again, too. But I should be cheering you up, not thinking of sad things!

I've never seen people act out at a funeral. I think I'd be laughing in my purse too...looking for a piece of candy, tissue, something!

Unknown said...

Gosh! What a funeral! Relax and get cookin', girl! We'll be waitin' ;)

Chou said...

Phew girl! What a few weeks. Good luck with La Bonne Cuisine, I hope it treats you well. :)

Dharm said...

Sounds like you've been a busy beaver! I left a little something for you on my Blog. Please drop by and pick it up!

Chibog in Chief said...

thanks for sharing this glamah!! i cant wait to see your new recipes from your new book!

Darius T. Williams said...

Sorry to hear about Aunt B. But yea, you had a hell of a few weeks. I hope you're doing well!!!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Hopefully things will settle down and life will be back to normal:D

Gabi said...

It's one of those whirlwind times for you. I know you'll take it in stride though when you're in the middle of a storm it's sometimes hard to know where to anchor. Glad you got some time with CS and I celebrate your Aunt B's long life. Your description of the funeral was great - I've laughed into my purse many a time over some of my relations- I secretly think that's what their purpose is ;)

Ivy said...

Sorry to hear about another funeral in such a short time. Hope things get better and you'll get back to normal life again. Looking forward to seeing those French recipes.

maybelles mom said...

glad to hear from you; and excited to live that book with you whenever it comes.

Toni said...

Sometimes life just gets too busy to cook then photograph then eat. But your story reads like a movie - I can picture you diving into your purse and rummaging around. I love the idea that you were suppressing laughter at a funeral - way to go!

When you get back on track, we'll all be reading your next recipe and lovin' it!

Swati said...

Life really gets busy and demanding at times...just give yourself time and relax..

All the best..

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

I left you an award on my blog. Go on over to get it!

Anonymous said...

Courtney, I hope your autumn is peaceful and blessed!

Jeanne said...

Your Aunty sounds like a wonderful character, and oh, your account of the funeral had me laughing! Families can be so weird anyway and I find that weddings and funerals refine the weirdness to the point of total comedy. At my wedding, I had a spinster relative on the verge of tears, and then asking the minister and his wife to pray for her in the middle of the reception. The next thing we saw was this little prayer circle of three on the lawn amid the canapes praying for a husband to appear.

We should start a support group :)

Rosie said...

I fully understand coco, life sometimes becomes too much to cook - photograph and blog! You take care sweetie!!

Rosie x