Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

10.31.2008

Dessert For One or Many ... Baked Banana's and Brown Sugar


Have you ever craved just a quick, but rich homemade dessert. Or are stumped with company coming and really don't want to labour in the kitchen? Do you love Banana's , brown sugar, and butter? Then this one is for you! I came home from work wanting a dessert. But it was just me and I didn't need lots of cakes , pie, or cookies laying around. My new thing is googling key ingredient terms. I entered banana and brown sugar and saw this. I tweaked it and reduce to one serving. I also used my Mexican Piloncillo instead of regular brown sugar. I just shaved it with knife. Click on the recipe for 4( mine used more sugar and butter per serving). But essentially preheat your oven to 375. Take a ceramic tart dish. Melt 1- 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour some butter on bottom of dish. Arrange length wise cut banana pieces. Cover with 1 whole brown shredded Piloncillo. Pour remaining butter on.Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake for 15 minutes until the sugar is bubbling.
I loved this. It would be even better with a dollop of slightly sweet whip cream or ice cream.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

oh it monring here, just woke up, an having a look of this fab banana's make me wanting to eat it up from the screen. so perfetly done!

Mary said...

Wow this looks delicious. Almost like a bananas foster. (by the way, I couldn't get the link to work.)

Mary said...

Great thanks!

Anonymous said...

Easy peasy love the photo. Never heard of Piloncillo will have to google it...small blocks or bricks of unrefined solid cane sugar....I love that I find out new things all the time on blogs.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I've always had problems with baked bananas, although I love bananas. It's maybe because I only like green bananas (not overripe)... Anyway, that's a dessert many people enjoy (including my boyfriend)!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful, Courtney! I'll have ice cream on mine ;)

maybelle's mom said...

interesting. like the use of Mexican Piloncillo.

Jen said...

I've actually done riffs on this. Delightful combination!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh yes, I'll definitly take a scoop of vanila with mine, thank you!

Ivy said...

I've had some failures with banana recipes. This one sounds easy but never heard of Piloncillo before.

Nina Timm said...

A dollop of cream.....man, that can be fun to eat with this delicious dessert!

Lori Lynn said...

Oh this is such a great idea. I am not a big fan of baking, I do like this! I might top mine with creme fraiche.

Anonymous said...

Just lovely! I love baking banana's in butter but this is even better with the sugar ;)

Anonymous said...

I love this dessert! And I love that it's simple to make.

Paz

Peter M said...

Sometimes we need instant gratification (don't think dirty) and a quick, satisfying dessert does the trick.

A scoop of ice cream please?

Emily said...

Ohhhh yeaaahhh. Bananas are my absolute favorite! I can eat them every day.
This looks yummy!

I need to try Piloncillo. I've seen the cones at the store.

Cynthia said...

Gosh that looks so freaking tasty! Want some!

jasmine said...

Oh my goodness...this looks absolutely amazing...to make it absolutely perfect, I think a scoop of vanilla bean'd ice cream is called for...


j

The Caked Crusader said...

oh my! A bowl of that would hit the spot right now...who cares that it's 8.20am?

Dee said...

This is a keeper, Coco! We always have bananas, and I'm always craving dessert :)

Thank you for checking up on me.

p/s
I'm a Hawaiian pizza fan too, but Julian's a pizza snob :( I'm glad you got your blog back.

Deborah said...

Oooh, I could totally go for a dessert for one! And it looks beyond delicious!

Chou said...

This sounds so good! It brings to mind creme brulee, but much healthier.

Unknown said...

oh gosh! simply heavenly...and i never thought of this! i shall give it a try asappppp

Dagmar said...

I love baked bananas, especially with vanilla icecream. These look so yummy!

Swati said...

I really love this delicious concoction of yours... great and yummy!!

Jeanne said...

Never been a fan of bananas... so I guess this one is not for me ;-) But I hear you abtou fruit-based desserts being the best standby. I often do baked apples or a quick apple crisp (the chet's way - cooks the apple sin the mocrowave, top, and then grill for crispness!). And if you have puff pastry in the freezer, ANY fruit makes a quick tarte tatin.