Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

10.16.2008

Pumpkin and Coconut 'Samosas'...WTSIM #20


I'm going to use the term Samosa here figuratively. But Samosas are what inspired me to make this for my first ever entry into Waiter There Is Something In My... The theme is Gourds.

Let me give you a little background into my entering...

Jeanne over at Cook Sister, is this months host and event founder, and I have had the immense pleasure of meeting both here and her husband while they are in Chicago. Certain Someone and I invited them over for the famous Harold's fried Chicken. I was quite impressed as they finished of their entire orders!Lets just say she's eating her way through Chicago.Later in the week I met up with her for a quick lunch at Macy's( formerly the historic Marshall Fields) for a quick lunch at Rick Bayless' Frontera Express. While ordering we noticed Marcus Samuelsson has a upscale burger stand next to Frontera. It seems every foreigner I mention Marcus to is not really that familiar. He seems to be more famous here! Go figure. Anyway while chomping and talking away , guess who walks by! Marcus. I could have swooned. Jeanne saw him go behind the counter so it was him for sure.What a treat. I really enjoyed meeting Jeanne and was amazed at what we had in common. She is a treasure. Excuse the photo but I look like porker. It was the Harold's.
So with Certain Someone gone this week, and a little unexpected lull from a hectic work week, I concocted this savory , somewhat spicy pumpkin "samosa". I know samosas are traditionally triangular and fried , but I decided to use convenient puff pastry. Rather than potatoes, I used pumpkin as my gourd cooked down with curry, coconut milk, red lentils, and spinach.After I came up with the idea, I did a quick google search and saw some recipes along the same idea. Also I remember seeing this combo and found it intriguing.The filling I made was abundant and I have a lot leftover as only a few teaspoons are needed. I imagine I can eat it up with rice as leftovers.Or serve alongside some chicken later on. It will not go to waste. So without much ado...


Pumpkin and Coconut Samosas

1 sheet frozen puff pastry makes 6 or 2 sheets makes 12
4 cups peeled /cubed pumpkin or 1/2 a small one
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon curry( add more if that is your taste)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 whole chopped onion
Sea salt * I have a special French sea salt blend with curry , mint, cumin, and chilies added so I adjusted based on this.
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup red lentils
1 cup fresh spinach
1 can coconut milk

Take frozen puff pastry out to thaw. While thawing cook your filling .In a large skillet heat vegetable oil.On medium heat, add mustard seeds and cook until they pop. Add onion and brown stirring occasionally. Add pumpkin, and all dry spices except sugar. Cook until pumpkin and onion start to get tender and slightly caramelize. Stir occasionally. Add coconut milk and sugar. Turn down heat and let mixture simmer. Toss in spinach after 10 minutes. The pumpkin should be tender. Cook until spinach wilts.Take a immersion blender and slightly break up the pumpkin to a mashed consistency leaving some chunks and spinach leaves intact. Throw in the lentils and let simmer another 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Unroll the puff pastry and cut 1 sheet into 6 even squares. Fill each square with a bit of filling and seal edges. Bake for 10 -15 minutes or until golden.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nice samosas! I love the exotic-tasting filling! A great combo!

Cheers and have a nice weekend,

Rosa

TeachMom said...

This looks really tasty, well done! Oh, and I would've liked to see Marcus as well. :)

The Caked Crusader said...

You certainly live up to your name in the photo! Glamah - couldn't have put it better myself!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

What a great idea. I am going to see if they sell puff pastry here.

Nina Timm said...

Darn, I am also from SA and have never even met Jeanne....Looks like you 2 had fun.

Here in Cape Town the Malays make a potato and butternut samoosa - delish, as is yours!!!

Dee said...

Wow, look at you!

Spicy potato is the standard samosa here, although my mum used to make a curried mince filling that was divine. I love the originality of yours.

That salt sounds intriguing - how do you use it usually?

Núria said...

Ai, ai ai... how exciting! I just discovered yesterday in my cooking class what samosas were!!!!!!!! And you post about them... Life is amazing!

I will post about them soon... they were a great dish! Thinking about it... I could do half your way and half my way ;D

maybelle's mom said...

These look delicious, delicious. And, you look wonderful in that picture (I also like the pictures of what I assume is you and a certain someone in the background.)

Jeanne said...

Oh Courtney, these look gorgeous! And I have to echo Nina and say that they make me homesick for a very similar dish from back home in South Africa :)

It was so lovely meeting up - feel quite privileged that you made room in your busy schedule to see me TWICE! The Harold's chicken was quite something and my hips are grateful that I don't live in Chicao where I could eat it all the time... Must tell you about our visit to Fogo de Chao yesterday - YUM!

Thanks for the WTSIM entry - you've set the bar pretty high :)

Laura Paterson said...

These are unusual and luscious! Yum!

Susan said...

I'm wondering if Harold's is like Popeye's here in the New York area. Deadly. : ) Your samosas are just as impossible to resist.

Big smiles on you and Jeanne - you must have had a great time.

Mary said...

Your samosas look super delicious. And I think you look gorgeous!

glamah16 said...

Thanks everyone. They realy are good.Even the day after!
Dee- I got the salt at Bourough Market in London. I have just been been sprinlikng it on everything from roast meaats to soups. It adds a nice kick.
Susan- Harolds makes Popeyes pale in comparison. It's a local chain throughout the south side. If I told you what makes their chicken so good you would frown. Yes its lard!Before CS it was a once a year treat. Now its like every month.

Deborah said...

I have yet to meet another blogger, but I will one day! and I think you look fabulous, and so do these samosas!

Peter M said...

I love samosas and your twists are always so original. I'm delighted you met Jeanne and that she's good people...I'd love to meet her too!

Half Baked said...

Yumm I love your unique take on samosas. they look tasty!

Darius T. Williams said...

Hmmm - I like the take on samosas - but I'm upset I didn't an invite to frontera express!

I'm not really upset - I'm sure there'll be future opportunties.

I bet you guys had a gooood time!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blosgpot.com

Laurie said...

Wow.. these are so creative.. I love the addition of lentils! What great texture they must have!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

You are SO beaUtiful in that pic! Don't think any other thought! And why didn't you get a picture with Marcus? I'm disappointed. Then again, I'm sure he was whizzing by...
Your samosa looks scrumptious. I want to try them...

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Your samosas look good! And so do you and Jeanne in the photo.

Paz

Cakespy said...

Samosas are my weakness. These ones look amazing, and even better to see the pic of you--cute! :-)

Anonymous said...

You are so beautiful! Look at that smile!

Ivy said...

First time I have heard of Samosas but they sound great.

You look lovely Courtney and how exciting to meet a fellow blogger.

~~louise~~ said...

Well, you've done it again, Courtney. I can feel those appealing Samosas sticking to my hips "as we speak." You, dear lady, look fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing. I wanna meet a 'fellow' blogger someday. How cool would that be?

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Wonderful that you were able to meet up with jeanne from Cook sister. That's cool:D

Megan said...

I love all the ingredients so I'm sure they were sinsational. They look great.

giz said...

what a great post - I love this idea. Hope things are calming down a little in the busy deparatment.

Rosie said...

Those samosas sound and look really good!

Amanda said...

Really pretty samosas--love the combination idea!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... I love the idea of portable pumpkin and coconut curry. And in puff pastry too--how delicious!