Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

6.23.2009

Beet and Apple Slaw


The trick to a successful BBQ, this season, is plenty of condiments, salads, and other treats to break up all that protein. For a healthy tasty salad, that will rival your traditional Cole Slaw, try this Beet and Apple Slaw. People don't appreciate the true flavor and versatility of the beetroot , because we mask it by pickling. But grated raw beet packs a healthy punch. Beetroot has been known to fight High Blood pressure, cancer, cholesterol, and constipation. I cant think of a more perfect side dish to go with any BBQ.

Beet and Apple Slaw
serves 6
1 large beetroot
2-3 apples
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
3/4 cups raisins or currents
1 tbsp minced ginger
* you may want wear plastic gloves when handling the beet as it can stain your hands

With a vegetable peeler , peel the beet and chop into manageable quarters. Take a grater and grate the entire beet into a glass bowl. Peel , core, and dice apples. Add to the bowl of grated beets. Toss in sugar, mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar,raisins, and ginger. Mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delicious looking slaw! I love beetroot!

Cheers,

Rosa

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I mirror what Rosa has already said. Beets are my favourite root vegetabel. Being British we grew up on pickled beets.

Deborah said...

I didn't know all those health benefits! This sounds wonderful.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

That salad looks so good! I love raw beets shredded on salad so this would be right up my alley!

The Duo Dishes said...

Just had a great beet and carrot salad last week. Thanks for showing this recipe. Now we can do a mix of both and see how it turns out.

Jen said...

YUM, Courtney! Yum, yum, yum! And beets are *just* in season. I am so making this during the weekend!

Jen said...

Beets are one of my favorite summer veggies but I never thought of making a slaw with them. I'm bookmarking this one and as soon as we get some beets from the CSA I'll try it out.

Lori Lynn said...

Sounds great. Love the photo and the checked cloth too.
LL

Nina Timm said...

We love beet slaw and in my home it is almost a staple on the table. I have never added apple and raisins before and will surely try this soon!

Bren said...

i'm loving the bold colors of this... and apple against protein and savory food is a sure way to get it all in! I need to put my mom onto beetroot.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love beets in any and all forms. This dish sounds perfect for our weather - and the color will definitely add spark to any lunch or dinner!

tobias cooks! said...

I love beets. great idea. cheers
tobias

Mary said...

This slaw looks fantastic! I'm totally bookmarking it for when my beets are ready to harvest!

Megan said...

I love beets and this looks like a perfect summer salad!

The Caked Crusader said...

What a gorgeous colour! I totally agree with you - I always wear gloves when handling beetroot as the stain is a nightmare to get off!

Christine said...

I like this, it's definitely a nice twist from the traditional coleslaw.

♥Rosie♥ said...

A very beautiful healthy slaw Coco. Perfect for the summer days here now in the U.K.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I would never thing of putting those two together. This sounds delicious.

I hated beets as a child but now I'm getting into them more.