Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

2.09.2009

Bone In Veal Breast Roasted In A Salt Bed


With Certain Someone back for a while before he jets off again, I find myself a carnivore for once.I have posted a few times here about Certain Someones mothers pork roast which is prepared in a salt bed. Wanting to expand on that theme and writing about it here, I decided to try another cut of meat. Veal breasts are relatively inexpensive and can be very delicious. One can buy them with the bone in or out. If the bones are out , veal breast work great stuffed.You will find all sorts of recipes for veal breast in Italian, German and other European cuisines. I love bones and roasting with them in imparts a whole another dimension. Veal breasts can be fatty, but yields a lot meat in the brisket like section.
This veal breast was simply prepared with a rub of lemon juice and some Penzeys Bavarian Seasoning blend( crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme,bay leaves, and sage),cracked black pepper, and studding of garlic cloves throughout. Place meat in a cast iron skillet or roasting pan. Take a container of salt and pour it around the meat. The meat should not lie on top of the salt, the salt should only surround it. Salt aides in retaining the moisture in the meat, while drawing out fats. The cut of meat draws the just enough salt it needs for flavor. Believer it or not, the meat does not come out salty. The ancient Chinese developed this way of cooking with salt . Roast the veal for 2 hours or more at 350F uncovered, depending on size. Remove from oven and allow to sit to settle.Slice and serve.
Notice how juicy the meat is upon carving.
Cooking with salt crusts works great for whole fish, chicken, and beef as well. The fish is usually covered in salt. The Chinese cover the chicken in a flour, salt,and water crust and bake.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Sue G. said...

Oh, my. Now that looks stunning. Great idea to roast on salt.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Whoa!! That caught my attention! Yummm!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great looking meat! An interesting way of cooking it!

Cheers,

Rosa

giz said...

Now that looks absolutely delicious. This is one recipe I intend to try and not let sit in my starred file forever.

Anonymous said...

I swear I've never seen a veal breast anywhere around here. You must have some excellent markets there! Veal is something I hadn't tried until well into adulthood and I do enjoy it now. Yes, I can dell how moist that meat is and it has me wishing it was on my plate tonight!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

The meat looks fabulous! Hubba hubba hubba!

Chou said...

I like cooking with salt crusts. It's amazing. For some reason, NY state is trying to attack salt users. Criminal.

Megan said...

This looks great! I've never roasted in salt like that but I love how it draws out the fat yet cooks up juicy. Bet that was a great dinner! :)

Dee said...

I love salt crusted roasts - I do a pork and rosemary salt version - because the meat is incredibly moist, and it makes for great presentation at minimal effort.

I just asked Jules if we could get some veal at the market, but he doesn't think so :(

Carolyn Vines said...

Hi Glamah,

As I read this post, I'm eating an upscale tv dinner. Well, at least I warmed up the beef, noodle, and spinach concoction in the wok. I'd much rather be eating the veal. I'm sure you've been asked this before, but are you going to open a restaurant soon?

Emily said...

Yum! It does look very juicy and delicious.

Núria said...

Mmmmmm What a delicious meat Courtney!!!! I'm surrounded by carnivorous at home and your dish would please them sooooooooo!

Peter M said...

C-Town, I must try veal breast (think clean), never had this cut. It looks very moist...CS will be content until his return.

Gabi said...

You're always coming up with something delectable- this looks mouth wateringly good!

Cynthia said...

This sounds like an excellent recipe.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I've heard of fish roasted in a salt bed but not meat. This sound so delicious. That meat is nice and juicy. Yum.

Rosie said...

WOW, that looks absolutely nice and juicy just gorgeous !!

Rosie x

Lori Lynn said...

Juicy! For sure. I am salivating over this one. I predict Veal in my near future. Great explanation of the recipe and how it works.
LL

Anonymous said...

great scoring job. great dish to make when i have lots of time to spare. i can barely make myself breakfast! how are you lately?!?! it's been a minute since we've caught up!

Anonymous said...

i pass up veal breasts (bone in) all the time at the store b/c they look like there isn't much meat on them, plus i never thought about how to cook them. this is making me rethink the whole thing! what an excellent recipe. yours looks totally meaty, too.

Jeanne said...

I've always wondered about baking on/in a salt bed/crust - thanks for setting my mid at ease as to whether the meat wll turn out too salty! That meat looks fantastically succulent!