Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

2.02.2009

A Gourmet Bread Challenge:Parmesan Pull Aparts

Last Christmas a group of us got together to bake cookies from Gourmet going back decades in their archives.Despite some hair pulling moments we have decided to get together once more to tackle the February issue of Gourmet magazines bread issue, in a more laid back approach. Once a week for the month of February we will post a bread recipe from the 6 that were published.Sandy, the creator of BYOB extended the invite and I was more than happy to participate.
Parmesan Pull Aparts are described in Gourmet as brioche like but easier to make.These pull apart rolls are made with Parmigiano-Reggiano and are pretty easy to put together. My rise was perfect but I noticed on rolling the balls prior to baking , the texture and surface wasn't as smooth as I was anticipating. Another thing I found unusual for a bread is the use of paddle attachment, not dough hook, and lack of kneading.A nice egg wash contributed to a deep brown glaze.Upon cooling the texture was a cross a between an biscuit and brioche if that is possible. Nevertheless it was hearty roll rich in cheese flavor. I paired it simply with some Speck Ham and strong German mustard. These Parmesan Pull Aparts will be my lunch sandwich bread for the week, as you can keep them up to a month frozen. This bread did not turn out as I imagined it to, but the flavor has a wonderful strong Parmesan flavor that can stand alone or go with your meal. I would like to try this recipe once more to see if the texture changes for a more smooth presentation.Parmesan Pull Aparts adapted by Coco Cooks from Gourmet February 2009
makes 1 dozen rolls
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2/3 cup of warm milk (105-115F), to be divided
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour plus 2 tbsp for sprinkling
1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 tsp salt
3 large eggs ( 2 for recipe and 1 for egg wash)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon water( for egg wash)
*A stand mixer is recommended

Mix together yeast, sugar, and 1/3 of the warm milk in mixer bowl of stand mixer.Let stand until foamy for about 5 minutes. If it doesn't foam start again with new yeast.Whisk flour, salt , and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese . Add this dry mixture to the yeast mixture with the other 1/3 of milk and mix at a low speed with a paddle attachment(not dough hook). Turn up speed to medium and add the 2 eggs, one at a time. Make the sure the egg is beaten well after each addition ans scrape down sides if necessary. Beat for 3 minutes until a soft dough is formed. Beat in butter a little at a time until dough is elastic.2 minutes more. Dough may be sticky. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tbsp of flour over the dough and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel.Let rise in a draft free warm place for 1 1/2 -2 hours until doubled.
Punch down dough but do not knead.On a lightly floured surface cut dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each into a ball using a cupped hand and pushing it against work surface in a circular motion.Arrange dough ball 1 inch apart in a 9 inch buttered cake pan. Cover again and allow to rise for 1 1/2 -2 hours until doubled.
Preheat oven to 375F with rack placed in the middle.
Whisk remaining egg and water for egg wash. Brush on dough balls.You will need all the wash.Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Loosen from pan using a knife if necessary and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
Visit my other baking friends for the Gourmet Bread Challenge.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

Courtney ~ these are absolutely gorgeous!!
~Sandy

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great looking rolls Courtney! I love the whole Parmesan thing!

Anonymous said...

I had my eye on these to begin with but switched at the last minute. I'm thinking I like the way you've described the texture and it kind of reminds me of the cheese buns we used to eat at a sea food restaurant -- very cheesy! I won't have my first bread post until later this week, but am looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Oh YUM! And perfect with the ham and mustard. It's going to be an excellent lunch week for you :-)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, these Parmesan Pull Apparts look damn good! With ham, mmmhhh... Totally scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jen said...

I'm delighted you chose these! I was leafing through my copy this morning and those particularly caught my eye, along with the rye/walnut rolls with nigella seeds.

I was wondering how they'd turn out and now I know. I think these are definitely in my future.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

These pull-aparts look great!

Anonymous said...

that spread in gourmet made me drool. thanks for testing this one out for me! looks delicious.

Nina Timm said...

I love savory breads so I will follow this recipe for sure and all the others in the month of February!

Darius T. Williams said...

LOVING this! For real...

TeachMom said...

This looks very nice. Have to try it!

Rosie said...

Coco,your bread looks absolutely fabulous!!

Rosie x

Ivy said...

Mmmmmm, I'd love some for breakfast!!

Jen said...

Even though you don't seem completely happy with them- I think the pull aparts look great and I live with someone who loves cheese in any form, these are getting added to the baking list.

~~louise~~ said...

The air of parmesan is redolent with the aroma of your bread/brioche...I awaken...it's breakfast...I wasn't dreaming, or was I?

Please squeeeeeeze just one through...

Laurie said...

These parmesan pull a-parts would keep me busy snacking all evening! They must make great dipping breads too! Very beautiful recipe!

Homemade Heaven said...

That bread looks wonderful and I love a cheesy bread.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

these look so good. I love cheesy bread as well.

giz said...

What a fun thing to make and enjoy. I can so see having these with a hot bowl of chili watching people just rip them apart.

Núria said...

Mmmmm those little bread bites look terrific Courtney!

Everybody is baking bread lately... what's in the air?

Andrea Meyers said...

Great job, they look delish! They are also on my list because I can't resist Parmesan.

Susan said...

Don't those look yummy! Once you start tearing them off, you have to finish them off, right?

I was just looking at all the choices on Gourmet's cover this afternoon, and then that wire basket filled with rolls inside. : }

Peter M said...

Looks very much like egg bread. I like the fluffy texture inside...enjoy lunch!

Heather said...

The mini ham sammich on there made me squeal.

Hey, it's been a whole year since we met. Happy Friendaversary, honey! :)

Toni said...

Last winter I was totally into baking. Haven't done much since except for the cookie exchange around the holidays. But the minute I read that this was like making brioche only easier, I was in! Thanks for the inspiration!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oooh Courney, These are right up my alley! I can almost smell them.

Anonymous said...

Those look fantastic, I think they'll be on my table this weekend! Thanks for sharing.

Jeanne said...

Oh Courtney, those look FANTASTIC!! I am soooo hoping that once we get our new kitchen in our new house (ahem!) I will have space for a stand mixer... and these will be the first things I make!

Chou said...

Courtney, these are beautiful! I love reading about this challenge.

Megan said...

These look and sound great. Good choice!

pepsakoy said...

What a coincidence ! I happened to make this bread as well...I twisted the recipe a bit and it came out just nice as yours..:)

Sara said...

i have the magazine but haven't read it yet. these look so great! can't wait to give them a try myself.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, yum! These are definitely on my list. A little prosciutto, maybe some olive oil - I wonder if the dough could have other things baked inside it? Probably not with the pull-apart technique...