Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

11.14.2009

Marzipan Fruits You Can Make Yourself... Ideas For Giving

Assorted Marzipan Fruits ( Sugar Plums,lemons, bananas, oranges, limes,pears, strawberries)

I adore Marzipan. In Europe its used much more commonly than in the United States for cakes and sugar crafts decorations. Come Christmas one will see all sorts of marzipan fruits, pigs ( Glückschwein) for luck, and coco covered potatoes. While browsing through the store (World Market) I saw all sorts of pricey Marzipan offerings from Spain and Germany and "I said you know. I can make this myself!" I love working and shaping marzipan. I don't know if any of you readers recall my holiday rabbit, which some people mistook for a rat ,for a Yule Log.

Its Not a Rat, It's a Rabbit

So this year I am making less frightening Marzipan objects. Marzipan is essentially ground almonds and sugar and has a rich tradition dating back to Medieval Times starting in Persia and other Arabic cultures, then spreading to the Mediterranean and Europe. Manufacturers may add essences of Rosewater and highly guard their recipes and ratios. At one time Marzipan was associated with medicinal abilities, as only Pharmacists sold it and other high priced confections. Marzipan was mainly associated with Royal houses and the upper classes due to the high price of sugar. Today, Lübeck Germany is the leading center of Marzipan production where you can find 200 varieties of the delicacy.

If your looking for fun craft that the family can do , or just want to get creative buy a few bars of Marzipan. I found some decorative tins form the dollar store and sealed each Marzipan fruit in a individual plastic cookie bag. There is some debate on weather Marzipan should be refrigerated or not. It will turn hard over time and needs a cool dry place. I always take the safest route and refrigerate in a air tight container up to a month or so. These fruits would be beautiful displayed at your Holiday party, given as favors, or sent to someone far away to bring Christmas Cheer. You could even decorate a Christmas cake with these.

I used powdered food color and petal dust to get my effects. A little marzipan goes a long way. Two 4.9 oz bars of Schluckwerder bars (60% almonds) make more than two small tins of assorted fruits. Use cloves for realistic stems on oranges, strawberries , lemons, etc. Tint your marzipan, and finish with textures effects and brushed petal lustre, edible glitter . When you are done set your marzipan, as you would gum paste, on a rack over a steaming pot of water for a few seconds, rotating .The longer you steam ,the glossier it gets. Remove and let dry completely. If you don't feel you have artistic abilities, roll little balls of Marzipan, infused with a little liqueur if you wish, and dust with coco powder to resemble potatoes.

Have fun with it and enjoy. Certain Someone loves his marzipan and its really the only sweet he loves besides chocolate.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Elle said...

Wow, those are beautiful! I adore marzipan, but it never occurs to me to try making some myself. I'll bet the kids would love it!

Rosemarie said...

What magnificent food art!They look like real fruit. I love marzipan and brought some home from Germany this summer. Your post makes me want to try this during the holiday season. Thank you for sharing your tips.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Awwww, they are so cute!

Cheers,

Rosa

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Courtney, they are simply adorable. You are just so talented.

I had no idea marzipan has been around so long. Thanks for the history. Certain Someone loves his marzipan and its really the only sweet he loves besides chocolate. and YOU!!!!

Glad to see every thing is all fixed...thanks for sharing...

Dagmar said...

Wow, you're so talented. They look gorgeous, they look just like, or even better than the store bought marcipan fruits that you can buy in central Europe (I haven't seen marcipan fruits here in Scandinavia, only Christmas marcipan figures.).

And I can't understand that some thought that the rabbit was a rat?? It's obvious that it's a cute rabbit!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These are beautiful for gifts Courtney...way too lovely to eat.

tobias cooks! said...

What a great gift idea. I know lots of people who would like those.

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Hi Courtney,

Great post with historical information I did not know.

Whenever I visit your blog, I always seem to leave with my mouth watering :)

U

Nadji said...

I also adore marsipan.
Tes réalisations sont magnifiques.
Bravo!!!

The Duo Dishes said...

"Its Not a Rat (or a yule log), It's a Rabbit"...Too. funny. It clearly looks like a rabbit. People are funny. And once again you've done something that's true pastry art!

Jen said...

My Danish son did this with his father every year, and he taught us the year he stayed with us - it was SUCH fun! Marzipan is wonderful and yours look gorgeous as usual.

The Caked Crusader said...

Wow - these are seriously good looking marzipan fruits. The shading and colouring is so realistic. Aren't you clever?

Homemade Heaven said...

As I am sure you know, marzipan is not big in Africa (perhaps finding a cool place to store something over December was just too difficult in the old days before fridges) - I didn't grow up with it, other than on wedding cakes. It is not to my taste, but have friends who go wild for it. I do love the beautiful things people make with them though.

chow and chatter said...

oh these look great shame i hate mazipan nice blog came over from Jamies

RJ Flamingo said...

You are so freaking talented, it kills me! And it looks like a bunny to me! ;-))

Cristie said...

You are an artist! Beautiful!

Peter M said...

SEE! You are indeed crafty...I'll have one those almond rats! (kidding)

toontz said...

How very pretty...nice job Courtney!