Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

5.09.2008

Putting Up Event...Watermelon Rind Preserves


I think in my past life I was a Farmers wife or something. Or maybe my Blackberry loving self deep down inside yearns for simpler non Glamah-rous life. OK, I take that back.I can see myself as a Zsa Zsa Gabor(or was it Eva) type on Green Acres.Anyway the swell duo of Rosie and Pixie have come up with a fantastic event called Putting Up. They are calling on us to use our canning skills.
A long time ago my mother and I purchased a pressure cooker/canner. We had a blast trying to make Chow Chow and pickled okra and peppers.We managed to make tons of food and oddly never went back to it again. Each summer I vowed to do something. Jams were a particular interest.With this event I have seen a lot of excellent jams. So as I always walk to a different drummer, I decided to make another item my Mommy always waxed nostalgic on. Watermelon Rinds Preserves. I used to shudder when I heard of this.I had never tasted it. But economy and time dictated that I use what I have. My Fruit and Vegetable Box yielded 2 small seedless watermelons amongst other things to bountiful to mention here. There was no way Certain Someone and I would finish these organic treats. So I dug out my pressure canner and searched for the instruction book. I then took all the watermelon meat and placed it a Gallon bag to freeze. Now that's the way I prefer to eat it! Plus would be awesome in martinis. Then I got into the long process. Not to long, but a lot of prep.

Why would anyone want to preserve Watermelon Rind? Well my research shows that this is Asian,Southern, and Polish specialty. You associate it with the Deep South. In the Depression , one looked for ways to use every bit of food you could. Rinds are edible and can be a tasty treat cooked down with spices and sugar.Asian cookery makes their own versions as well and just the not pickled rind but used fresh in stir frys , etc.I have also seen recipes from as far away as South Africa and Australia.Seems everyone is on to something.I read they are healthy too. I found the rind, once peeled of the green skin and pink flesh , took on characteristics of cucumber. Most of the recipes in the Internet are similar. I used a combo of recipes as a guide, and added a combo of both brown and white sugar.Next time I want try try more variations. I have seen recipes call for a little spice.I'm glad I forced myself to do this and you all will be seeing more preserves from this summer.If my mother was alive she would get a kick out these if I presented it to her in a gift basket for Mothers Day. Its not only economical but fun and novel. Maybe I need to rent a table at the Farmers Market? "Glamah Rinds Anyone? They're so cheap darlings it's chic! "
Glamah Rinds aka Watermelon Rind Preserves
Ingredients :
1 -2 lbs prepared watermelon rind * if you have more rind adjust to levels of sweetness and spice you prefer
1/2 cup salt
6 cup water
1 1/2 cup sugar (I combined brown and white sugars)
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
1 lemon sliced thin
1/2 tsp whole cloves * was thinking of using star anise next time.
1/2 tsp whole allspice

1 stick cinnamon
1 tsp of minced ginger
Method :
Prepare the watermelon rind, and remove any pink flesh and green skin. Cut the rind into pieces about 1 inch. Mix the salt and water in a large bowl, and add the rind. Let stand overnight. Drain thoroughly and rinse. Drain and rinse again. Place in a non reactive pot or kettle, cover with cold water, and cook, about 30 minutes, until the rind becomes tender and translucent, but still firm. Drain again. Place the sugar, vinegar, and lemon in the pot. Tie the spices in a cheesecloth bag and add to mixture. Bring to a boil, then cook 2 minutes. Add the rind, and cook, uncovered, over medium heat, for 15 minutes after it comes to a boil. Remove the rind with a slotted spoon and place in hot, sterilized jars. Boil the syrup 5 minutes longer, remove the spice bag, and pour the syrup over the rind till filled. Process in your canner according to your instructions. I used a pressure of 5 lbs and cooked for approx 10-15 in the pressure canner.
Seal at once. If a sweeter preserve is preferred, increase sugar to 2 cups. This made 4 half pints.
Serve with breads, ice creams, grilled chicken, etc.
Update! We have a winner of the the Tamale Open. Congratulations Megan . I sent you a email to claim your prize.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh! Me! Me! I want some Glamah rinds!

Peter M said...

Glamah, whamah, jamah, I wants some rinds, girl!

Didi you know, Greeks will preserve just about anything...including watermelon rinds?

Great entry, Courtney.

G said...

You are a constant surprise and a marvel. I've never heard of preserving watermelon rinds. Mmmmmmmmm... watermelon. Can't wait for summmer.

Anonymous said...

fantastic..I have not had these in years..and I planted watermelon this year so should have some.
:)
Great job!

Chibog in Chief said...

oh this is so tempting!!watermelons are my favorite!! my husband complains that i ate too much..imagine i could finish in just one seating an entire watermelon by myself.;and when i say watermelon its the big one!!LOL anyways i cant wait to try your recipe, like that i wont have to wait summer to enjoy my watermelon i can eat anytime i want yummmy

Mary said...

I'm not the biggest fan of watermelon, but these pickled rinds look really interesting. I think I'd like to try one. If you rented a stand I'd probably buy a jar out of curiousity. Sometimes you can get some great stuff that way!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I am also not a big fan of watermelon, but those preserves look delicious and wonderfully spicy! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

glamah16 said...

Thank you everyone.
Mary and Rosa-These actually dont taste like watermelon. Kind of like a sweet and spicy pickle.So if you like chutneys,you'll like these.

Joy said...

Mmmm I love the idea of watermelon rinds. I too have the whole farmer's wife complex too. The idea of a pantry full of canned produce makes me very happy. One day I'll do it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very cool!

And congratulations, Megan!

Paz

Pixie said...

You go girl! I absolutely love it! Such a great entry, thank you so much for taking part.

-Pixie

Susan said...

Maybe it was Magda. There were thousands of Gabor sisters, weren't there? I think George Sanders was married to most of them.

Excellent preserves, Courtney. There are all kinds of wonderful things to be done with watermelon rind.

Jen said...

Wow! I'm SO impressed. I still haven't learned the art of canning. I really need to.

We get quite a bit of watermelon from our CSA during the end of the summer and these sound wonderful. That gives me all summer to learn how to can.

Megan said...

I've never had watermelon/glamah rinds but they sound interesting. Maybe you should send a jar along and I'll let ya know what I think! :) Thanks Eva, I mean Courtney!

Rosie said...

Ooooh Coco what temptations you have here. I have never tried watermelon/glamah rinds but they look excellent preserves!! Many thanks for partaking in this event :)

Rosie x

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great entry! My kids love watermelon so we go through quite a bit here when it is in season. Now I have something to do with all of those rinds!

Emily said...

Wow, cool. I've never seen anybody make pickled watermelon rind.
I always see it at the store, but I've never tasted it.

I hope I get to do this event. I'm afraid I'll forget.

Mama Mia said...

very cool!

Swati said...

Glamah, you are full of surprises ... I have really never heard of watermelon rinds and even seedless watermelons... Wish I could get them here!!

Dharm said...

Watermelon rinds - now thats a new one for me!! In Malaysia the seeds are dried, packaged and sold as a snack - like sunflower seeds.

Thistlemoon said...

I love water melon rind salad! My cousin makes it all the time and it is sooo good! Watermelon rind rocks! Great entry, Courtney!

Deborah said...

I have never even thought of preserving watermelon rinds! What a great preserve!!

Chou said...

Yep, you just won the coolness award, too. :) I'm in a constant state of excitement about how amazing it is to make my own (fill in the blank). Independence. Hooray!

And yes, the farmer's market would be even better with you there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never had watermelon rind preserves, sounds very intriguing, thanks!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I think you got something going here with those Glamah rinds!! They really do taste like a chutney.
I must say I'm also intrigued by the flesh of the watermelon that you freeze for Martini's, I'll be watching for the recipe!(please)

Tempered Woman said...

This is the coolest post ever! I would never ever have thought that watermelon rinds would be edible. I absolutely love that you posted about this~ and now I'm def thinking you need to go the spicy route. I bet spicy rinds would be amazing in an Asian inspired dish. YUM!

Half Baked said...

Watermelon rind perserves sounds really cool! Who knew you could eat them. Great post!!

Evelin said...

I've heard of watermelon rind jam, but haven't had the courage to try making it yet. Sounds really cool!

Anonymous said...

mom made these every yr, omg delish, I am planning on making this yr, just been looking for the right reciept, think this is it, thanks