Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

5.04.2008

Tamale Open...The Cinco de Mayo Roundup


A while back I thought it would be fun to create a event around the tamale.I asked Ben if he's up to cohosting and he was game.This inspiration came after a fun yet laborious evening I had making tamales. My mind started racing as to all the possibilities out there. They could be sweet or savory. The Tamale has a rich history and its interesting to note how the ingredients change and vary to region. They are not exclusive to Mexico alone. Versions of their corn meal based packet can be found in the Caribbean,Central America, and the Mississippi Delta.Some wrapped in corn husks, and some in Banana leaves. The people of these regions adapted this and made it their own. But we associate the Tamale with Mexico.I had hoped there would be more entries for this.It became apparent Tamales are intimidating to a lot of people. The time, ingredients,and effort tend to put people off. Its easier admittedly to buy them. But there is nothing like enjoying your fresh made tamale that you crafted.I promise the effort is worth it. So we may only have a few entries, but they are stunning entries from all over the globe. I applaud all of you for the effort and depths you went through to participate.Most of the entries of variations of the Tamale. The main requirement is that was Masa based dish. I vow the Tamale Open will be back...
Andele... Let the festivities begin...


Our first entry is from Lisa Rene @ Unique Little Bits.She made a enticing Charred Pepper Pupusa.I don't think a vegetarian or carnivore can resist these grilled bits.Wouldn't these be nice starters for our Cinco De Mayo Cookout with a Golden Margarita?


Our second entry came all the way from the UK. Pixie from You Say Tomato I Say Tomato took the train all the way into London Town to secure the ingredients for her authentic Tamales. She mistakenly didn't feel she did them justice, but I as well as many others are super impressed. Way to go Pixie. You Rock. Lets take a shot of Tequila on this.

The lovely Gabi from The Feast Within thought she was too late but managed to create this delectable entry of Chile Garlic Butter Shrimp on Masa Blinis. They just scream good summer eating outside with a peach Margarita on the side.

Megan from Megans Cookin jumped at the chance to make her man some Chili Verde Sopas. She diplomatically combined their preferences( he 's into Chile Verde and she likes her Carnitas) for a fab dish. I just want to sop this up with a nice chilled Cerveza.They must be a great couple because this dish works.

And last but not least...Moi. I decided to offer up a tasty dessert of Banana Chipolte Pineapple Tamales. Since I had already made tamales previously, I decided to explore a sweeter route steamed in Banana leaf. I think I need some coffee with this and maybe a slug of Kahlua .


So here's our limited but Muy Delicioso Roundup.Now lets go over to Ben's Place to vote. He will be setting up a poll this week. The winner will get great this great prize below. If by chance the winner is outside the US, I will replace the spice element with another.
Thanks you all for participating and reading!





Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great job on the round up. Those entries all look so good!

G said...

Those all look great - I had no idea what to do, no experience with Mexican food. I hope I'm up for the next challenge!

Mary said...

All of these tamales look fabulous! I had a little bit going on over the past 6 weeks, but I promise if you have the next tomale roundup a little bit further in the future I'll participate!

Heather said...

D'oh! I'm too late! I actually did make a nice little dish and never got around to posting it! :( Maybe I will post it tomorrow for Cinco de Mayo.

Everyone did such a nice job! Great job!

Pixie said...

Hi Courtney and Ben,

Thanks so much for running the event. I'm so glad you did, regardless of having just a few entries this time around. I learned so much from it and hope others will see it's not at all that complicated! And seriously, don't feel the need to include me (living out of the U.S.) I know the cost would be astronomical to send. I'm happy enough to have been given the 'shove'.

Pix

Peter M said...

Nice array of dishes and I too regret not getting something in for the event.

You two know I luv ya!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great food! I love such delicious dishes!

Cheers,

Rosa

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Everything looks so good. I am heading back to vote:D

Gabi said...

Thanks for such a great roundup- I had fun and I am definitely trying a few of those dishes :)

Hope you do this again soon- this was so much fun to cook and so tasty to eat!

Emily said...

All of the entries look delicious! Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Laurie said...

What impressive food! I love your sweet banana version Courtney! I wish I had taken the time to participate in this event.

LisaRene said...

Even though there were just a few posts the diversity was great! It does show people how versatile masa harina can be. I agree with your comment that most people are intimidate by the concept of making tamales. Hopefully we have shown them that it's really not so scary and they will be ready to attempt a tamale recipe for your future roundup!

Jen said...

Oh, darn me for missing it. It's just been too crazy around here lately with end-of-school-year stuff. Everything looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

They all look delicious :) Thanks for this roundup!

Chef Erik said...

Everything looks great. Happy Cinco De Mayo :)

Swati said...

Great event and round up Glamah !! Everything looks delicious!!

Chibog in Chief said...

oh my oh my, these are all fantastic and good looking tamales!! i'm sure to pick one of these recipes and try myself!! yum!

Hendersonville Epicurean said...

What a GREAT idea, Glamah!!

I feel like such a slacker, going to one of our favorite Mexican places to celebrate Cinco de Mayo instead of participating in your round up.

The photos are wonderful, too. Guess creative cooks are also creative photographers.

Hendersonville Epicurean said...

What a GREAT idea, Glamah!!

I feel like such a slacker, going to one of our favorite Mexican places to celebrate Cinco de Mayo instead of participating in your round up.

The photos are wonderful, too. Guess creative cooks are also creative photographers.

Thistlemoon said...

What a great event, fabulous co-hosts and entries! Hope you do it again sometime!

Lisa said...

I am so very sad that I didn't make it into your event. I was even going to make my own lard, but that was a fiasco. I hope you do this again sometime. In the meantime, I'm drooling over all of the lovely tamales others made. Hoy hoy! I'll go vote...

Anonymous said...

these pictures have made my stomach grumble. i'm super proud of everyone who gave this a shot! tamales aren't the easiest things to make for most, but these all look delicious.