Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

5.01.2008

Something New...The Turnip

It's My 100th Post!But not a terribly exciting one.

After all that sugary goodness this week,my Certain Someone actually requested fish and some nice veggies for dinner. I still had a bit form the vegetable box. I wanted to use some large turnips but wasn't sure sure how to incorporate with fish. I also had zucchini and a assortment of different types of tomatoes.My sudden inspiration was to mash my turnips with some butter and throw in some crumbled Feta to go with the Mediterranean style zucchini and tomatoes.I roasted my Tilapia with a brush of olive oil and smoked Paprika. Sauteed my zucchini with tomatoes,Shitakes, sun dried tomatoes and garlic and served both on a bed of Turnip Puree. Verdict: Certain Someone licked his pasta bowl clean and ate every bite. I liked my turnip puree but I felt the flavor was very strong. Maybe the Feta addition would have been more suitable with red meat.He thought it was fine.The turnips made a beautiful puree that needed no additional liquids.Turnips are a pretty underused vegetable. All in all a pretty good experiment and I will not fear the Turnip any longer.I was surprised at how filling this dish was.


Turnip Puree with Feta
1 large turnip peeled and cut into quarters
salt
3 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of Feta

Boil turnips until soft. Drain water. Add butter. Add salt,pepper, and Feta. Take Immersion Blender and puree. Serve alongside roasted meat of fish.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Proud Italian Cook said...

Congratulations Courtney on your 100th post! Looking forward to returning and reading many more! How nice that today,You and Maryann, are both celebrating your 100th post!! Thats quite an accomplishment!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Congrats and keep up with the great work!

That dish looks scrummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Pixie said...

Congrats on your 100th post!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy 100th, my dear Courtney! I hope to read many more posts from you in the future. You are a treasure in the food blog world.
...and of course he licked the bowl clean. That dish looks so delicious, especially the turnip puree :)

Mary said...

Congratulations on your 100 posts! I love turnips and have never tried them pureed. I can tell you that the older the turnip is the stronger the flavor.

Laurie said...

I think you incorporated the fish and veggies just wonderfully! "Congratulations on your 100th post!" :)

Laura Paterson said...

Congratulations on your 100th post!

I'll try the feta addition the next time I prepare my neeps!

Deborah said...

Congrats on your 100th post!! I look forward to the next 100!

I've actually never had turnips before. I've seen them at the grocery store but have always been intimidated by them. I really need to give them a try!

Peter M said...

Courtney, may you soon post your 1000th!

Turnip puree is wonderful and I do like them roasted.

Chibog in Chief said...

100th post i still have more to go..congrats dear :-) great concoction of turnip puree with tilapia..sounds really excitingly delicious!!

Megan said...

Congratulations on 100 wonderful posts! You rock!
I made a stew with turnips and found them quite delicious. I bet smashed turnips are wonderful!

Just a Girl said...

Ahhh, I love turnips. How fun it is to try something new! We like to roast turnips, I have never tried them mashed and really never thought of it so now I have to try that too!

G said...

Mmmmmmmmmm... delicious!

So looking forward to the next 100!

Have a great weekend Coco.

~~louise~~ said...

How exciting! Congratulations on your 100 posts!

I stumbled upon your blog quite by accident & I'm so very glad I did.

So many recipes, where does one begin?

May you have many more...

jasmine said...

Happy One hundredth!

I'm always a little shocked when I see how many posts are on my blog...really, I couldn't have written *that* much...

j

Heather said...

I really love turnips and rutabegas, and their greens. Nothing wrong with a simple supper! I certainly ain't mad atcha.

Susan said...

Congrats on your 100th post, Courtney! Turnips are so misunderstood. Shame, really. Feta sounds like the ideal match for them.

Núria said...

Courtney! Congratulations... well done... bravo, bravo... clap, clap :D Hey, isn't it exciting? Keep it up girl!

I wanted to go back to your place before, but It's just getting so hard for me to get organised with my reader and my navigation... sorry, I pretend to come back earlier.

Also, I loved to see your face with Peter's. How great to have the opportunitty to meet!!!!