Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

7.02.2008

Mauby Kick!!!!

Not much cooking this week. However my prizes I have won are starting to roll in and Ive been busy exploring. Bren
sent me my prize based on some questions I answered on Trinidad Tobago. I got some Mauby,Geera,curry, and Amchar Masala.Bren has a terrific recipe on her blog featuring curried plantains in coconut milk. I want to try that sometime soon.Shes awesome and spicy like the spices she sent! In the meanwhile I was curious about Mauby. The pack was a spice pack of Mauby bark, anise seeds, cinnamon, etc. I researched on the web and saw varying recipes. I wanted something more than just boil with water , add sugar. So I emailed Cynthia, the Queen Bee of Caribbean cooking and asked for her recipe.Its a family recipe that goes way back. I didn't have the whole nutmeg but followed her recipe in principle and theory in regards to brewing and fermenting. I had my first taste this morning as its a 48 hour process. On first sip its sweet, almost tea like.Then a slightly bitter after taste. It grows on you and you find yourself sipping more. Very refreshing. The jury is out on its health benefits. Some say it lowers high blood pressure .And some wild theories are that causes impotence!A study showed blood pressure reduced if mixed with coconut water.Each island had there own version and the recipe gets tweaked to ones preference.Some people even add vanilla or mix with alcohol.The sugar content can be adjusted to your tastes. All I know is I like it and want to get some more Mauby bark and play.It is an acquired taste and I urge you to try it if you ever have an opportunity!

I also cooled off with the coffee I won from Marye recently. If you haven't had a chance to check out her numerous blogs on , do so. She's an amazing woman who can do just about anything in my opinion and never lets much shake her faith. We can all learn from someone like that. My first brew was a chilled ice coffee drink with a splash of Chambord. Delish!So you see not a lot of cooking this week, just brewing and sipping!

And on a final note, Mary from Shazam In The Kitchen sent me this lovely prize. She says I'm glamorous and exciting. If she only knew things aren't always how they seem but it is an interesting and blessed life! I feel you are all creative and fascinating or else I wouldn't spend much of my down time following you. So consider this passed on to all of you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Peter M said...

Lady Luck is in "da haus"! While you've got some good luck, go out and but a lottery ticket...ya never know!

Anonymous said...

I will repeat your own ords to you..Things are not always what they seem.
:)
I am glad you liked the coffee. I think they are my new favorite company.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're a real winner!
Never heard of Mauby but it sounds interesting. I thought Mauby Kick sounded like a twist on Moby Dick....but after reading your post I don't think so ;)

Simply...Gluten-free said...

Your on a roll you lucky lady!

Jen said...

I was so excited to see Ugly Mug coffee! That's a local product from Ypsi! I wonder how the heck it ended up in Chicago via Texas? I really need to read Bren and Cynthia - I love Caribbean cooking.

Thistlemoon said...

WOW! That is a lot of prizes - but I think you deserve them because you are glamorous and exciting!

Swati said...

Hey, congrats on your prize and award.. The mauby bark is new to me.. Cynthia can never go wrong, isnt it!!

Anonymous said...

oh fabulous! i'm so glad you made it! I'm going to try it too since it's new to me as well....I still haven't used mine... can you believe not many have commented and I have that contest going!!! oh well!

Anonymous said...

Mauby - interesting. Thanks for teaching me something new today!

Cynthia said...

I'm so glad that you made it and you are absolutely right, it is one of those things that you grow to enjoy. If you cannot find nutmeg but can locate mace (mace is the outer wrapping that's found on the shell of the nutmeg, that can work too!