Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

7.08.2008

Plum Cardamon Fruit Leather...Natures Candy




What is a grown , almost 40 year old woman with no children (other than her big baby Certain Someone) doing making fruit leather? Well, a number of reasons. The May issue of Gourmet has a strawberry fruit leather recipe I had my eye on . Then yesterdays CSA box yielded about a 1 1/2 lbs of each of black, and red plums, in addition to blackberries, and peaches! No way I can get through all that fruit, and I don't feel like baking pies or cakes . So fruit leather it is. Think of it as another way to preserve summers bounty.I figured I can take it to work and resist the Candy Man "Big Money" who sits in front of me with his notorious stash of candy. It's bad and everyone comes down in the building for their daily fix. He gets odd delight in it. Maybe he likes to see all the women go by, who knows. But we love him. And he keeps my orders moving and clients appeased. What appeals to me about fruit leather is that it is all natural. You can add sugar or not depending on the fruit and your taste levels. I used Agave Nectar and some Cardamon for some kick. I looked online and also used the Gourmet article as reference. Rather than add water to the fruit puree and cook down, as some suggest, I felt the plums had enough water in them .I kept the peel on to for texture. If using stone fruit be sure to pit them. A lot of people recommend removing the peel, but that's up to you. And you don't need a fancy dehydrator gadget. This can be done in your oven.

Coco's Plum Cardamon Fruit Leather (adapted in part/technique from Gourmet Magazines May 2008 Strawberry Leather)
1 1/2 lbs black plums( about 14)
1/2 cup Agave Nectar

Wash and stone fruit. In a food processor or blender puree fruit. In a heavy bottomed pot add puree and Agave nectar and bring to a boil. Reduce and cook for about 10 minutes. Add Cardamon to taste. Using the Gourmet method from this point pour the mixture onto the Silpat. I have seen some recipes use microwave proof plastic wrap as well. Spread in an even layer. Place in a oven that's heated at about 150 degrees to no more than 200 for 3 hours or until slightly sticky , but not sticking to fingers/solid. Very low temp(caution don't leave unattended even though it is a low temp). Take out ,remove Silpat /liner , and let dry on a rack for several hours up to 24 until dry. Take a piece of parchment or plastic wrap and cover the leather with it. Then peel upwards to remove the leather from the Silpat. It should adhere to the parchment(See notes). Roll up and store in plastic bags. Stores for up to 1 month.
Some notes: Due to humidity and thickness make sure the fruit puree is evenly dries out and done in the oven.While it dried it became a little more so(did not have air on) I noticed my center was more gooey and put it back in for another hour or so. When I added the parchment to roll the center was still mushy. I flipped the Silpat and peeled off the leather onto the parchment paper. I scraped the gooey part off the Silpat with a dough scraper and spread over the 'broken part'. The underside now exposed right side up on the parchment went back into the oven for another hour or so.
On a side note I just want to say first thanks for your opinions about the link issue. Made me feel way better! Your support means a lot to me. Also, guess what? It may not mean anything yet, but I will be starting to work on a 'on call' basis in a artisan caterers kitchen. I have known the chef for a few years through some part time restaurant work and followed him as a part time on call server to this particular caterer. Saturday morning I'm coming in to learn the kitchen and the ropes. Less pay than serving , but something I love to do! A little dream of mine without giving up the day job. It will be an experience learning and working off premise catering.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Funny name! I really thought that it was dried meat ;-P... An interesting recipe!

Cheers,

Rosa

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I had no idea there were homemade versions of this.

Congrats on your new opportunity. Sounds exciting. Look forward to hearing more about it.

Deborah said...

My mother-in-law just got a new dehydrator, and has been making fruit leather and jerky galore. I've been quite jealous, because I don't have a dehydrator. And then you tell me how to do it without one! I'm so glad - I've never heard of making it this way. I want to try this out for sure!!

Gabi said...

Yummy looking fruit leather!
Have fun with the new side gig- hope it's a blast...

Proud Italian Cook said...

Courtney, This just may be the new health food! Berries and plums are so good for us with all the antioxidents in them, and this being in such a concentrated form, it just screams healthy dosen't it?
I think you got something going here girl!
Congrats on your new gig, sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Great way of using up all that fruit. I recently bought some in an Iranian shop, apparently it's big there too.

And congratulations on the new job!

Anonymous said...

that is a brilliant combo my friend, just brilliant.

Chou said...

Oh, I hope I can make this before I sell my dehydrator!!! It sounds so good. I love dried fruit of all kinds.

Jen said...

What a fabulous idea! I'll have to try making this.

CONGRATS on your new job opp! YAY!

Laurie said...

"Thank you for this recipe!!" :) I'm a 40 + aged mom of four..and I would make these for me weekly! I buy fruit leather at a health food store and the individual wrapped pieces are around 30 cents a piece. It's cheaper by the box but they don't always have it available.
I try to keep a stash to quench my craving for red vines licorice ! :) The one I buy at the health food store is completely natural no sugar added and it is still wonderful! I don't know why I never looked for a recipe before but this is great Courtney..:)

Big Boys Oven said...

this is interesting, some I need to try!

Chibog in Chief said...

i have never seen something like this before..this is so cool! thanks fo sharing the recipe..cant wait to try for my daughte's birthday

giz said...

I love this - it would be so much fun to do with my niece and nephew while teaching them that not everything has to come from Costco. You can also control sugar and additives...fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Hello - a homemade fruit roll-up?! was i the only one who ate these growing up or am i dating myself? this is awesome!

i used to take my roll-ups and unroll them and throw them in the snow in the winter. They would freeze and then i could break pieces off. fun times...

maybelles mom said...

i might have missed in it your post (I am a little exhausted), but, how did you get that pattern on the fruit roll ups. it looks so great.

Y said...

Any age is a good age for fruit leather! :D Good luck with the catering job!

Christine said...

I love fruit leathers! I've always been nervous about making it myself, though.

Emily said...

I've got to try this! This was a really good idea.

Good luck with the catering...let us know how it goes.

Nina Timm said...

Oh the memories. I grew up with fruit leather. My gran used to have rolls of the stuff in her pantry. My favorite is apricot. Just because it has a sour tang to it!!!!

Laura Paterson said...

Fab!

This is exactly the type of snack I would love to bring to work - but I'd never even heard of it before!

So exciting on your new opportunity - I'm crossing toes for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is completely new to me. I've never heard of fruit leather but now that my curiousity is peaked, I'm going to have to do some research. Yay, a project ;)

Shayne said...

my kids love fruit leather, "candy". I am happy to see a post on how to make it and issues to expect, thank you...now I have to get a silpat

Gigi said...

I can see it now ...Coco's Gourmet All Natural Fruit Leather! Wow! I was given a bottle of agave nectar from a friend and have been wondering what to make with it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thistlemoon said...

What a freaking GREAT idea Courtney! I love fruit leather! YUM.

Anonymous said...

I want a pair of fruit leather pants!! Now that's the kind of fashion I could adhere to. Haha. Let's start a business Courtney! We could find a catchy slogan like... err.." Fruit leather pants!.. For a quick snack on the go!". Hmm, kind of cheesy this one... Any ideas? :-)

Anonymous said...

we used to eat this all the time as children. I've been toying with making some most of the summer (or should I say non-summer) but we just haven't had enough fruit and what we have had has been eaten quickly. I've done very little preserving of any kind this year which speaks volumes about , well the volume, of fruit that we are just not getting. I love the cardamom as it is a favourite accent for plums. the coour is also divine

~~louise~~ said...

Another amazing recipe a la Courtney. I'll be passing this one on to my daughter. She's fussy about what the kids eat but this will certainly fit in her healthy repertoire...Thanks for sharing.

Have FUN! with your new adventure.

Swati said...

Dear Glamah

Sorry for such a late response..Just caught up in life..
You will find it interesting to know that a similar thing called "Aam Paapad" is very popular in India..Its made out of mangoes and is delicious...loved by all ..kids and adults!!
I always thought its a very tedious and difficult thing to make at home and gal you impress me again!!

Heather said...

wanted to invite you to my first little blogging event. i'm sure you'll come up with something awesome :)
http://diaryofafanaticfoodie.blogspot.com/2008/07/cocktail-and-my-first-event.html

The Caked Crusader said...

Fascinating! I think I'd really like this.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

That is so awesome, you little baker's apprentice, you! I can't wait to hear about your baking adventures and learning! Wow!

And thatnks for posting the fruit leather. I'm nearly 30 and I'd make it. And eat it, too!

Jeanne said...

Look at the colour on that! And I love the pattern that makes it look almost like snakeskin - must be from the silpat? Like Nina and African Vanielje, I grew up with this - my favourite was always apricot, although peach, fig and guava were all common flavours. It was a favourite healthy lunchbox snack for moms with kids. I adore the idea of doing it with plums and the cardamom is inspired. I have a silpat... but my rented apartment's oven is so small that I'd have to trim it to fit it in... and no way am I doing that! So will have to wait till I have my own house with a bigger oven :(

SteamyKitchen said...

great great combo for a fruit leather. you should start a line of gourmet fruit leathers.