Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

5.13.2009

Garafalo Pasta... Roasted Balsamic Vegetables and Penne



Garafalo contacted me last month and offered me some samples to try. Who am I to say no? What I didn't realize upon delivery was that I have been using this product for the past few years. Their packaging is distinct, but the small script label never registered with me. Certain Someone and I always stock up on Garafalo while shopping at Costco. In these lean times it can stretch a meal and provide me lunch at work. So I guess this cant be called a review because the product has been in repertoire for some some time. Not only did they send me Penne, but Spaghettini as well. Garafalo has 21 Signature Neapolitan pasta offerings . Costco normally mixes up a few in their multi packs.
I have made some changes to my diet on doctors orders. I'm pre hypertensive and need to control my salt intake. As a result I am using balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Non salt blends in my cooking. In less than 2 weeks my taste buds have become accustomed to the natural flavors of food. Tricks like roasting really coax out the goodness of vegetable and more than make up for the lack of salt. When tasting processed or prepared food now, I can taste the excessive salt. So its good that I'm adjusting.
One of my favorite ways with pasta is a simple toss of pasta and my roasted balsamic vegetables. Certain Someone is more of a meat and heavy cream man. But I like it on the light side.

Penne with Roasted Balsamic Vegetables
1 head Cauliflower
1 zucchini
1 pint mushrooms
Green or Red Peppers
1 large Onion
1 carrot
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Dried herbs of your choice ( oregano, thyme,basil)
Garlic minced
Cracked Black Pepper
1 package Garafalo Penne

Clean , seed,and chop, or slice vegetables into pieces. In a large glass bowl toss vegetables, herbs, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.Let rest for at least 1/2 hour.
Preheat oven to 375F. Boil water for pasta. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
In a roasting pan or cast iron skillet place the vegetables. Roast for 40 minutes or until caramelized and soft .
Toss the pasta in the pan with the vegetables until well Incorporated and coated . At this pint you can add your salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a shaving of Parmesan cheese.

Thanks for all the entries for the Military Wives Cookbook. I drew a name out of a hat...and the winner is Junie Moon! Congrats!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Junie Moon said...

I am so tickled to win a copy of this book. Thank you so much for your generous kindness. I truly appreciate it.

About the recipe you posted. My husband asked me tonight about making something with penne pasta and here you've given me exactly what I need to make him happy. Thank you yet again!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That pasta dish must taste wonderful! I love balsamic vinegar in vegetables...

Cheers,

Rosa

joanne at frutto della passione said...

The recipe sounds amazing but I can't see the pictures!!! New fire walls in the office are driving me crazy, I'll have to come back when I get home tonight!

Beth said...

This looks good Courtney. Good on you for changing your habits, too! I hope you enjoed the Fox and Obel event last night.

MrOrph said...

Yeah, I have had to make some changes as well. Only, I'm not "pre" hypertensive. I use a lot of citrus and plenty of fresh herbs and garlic to make up for the lack of salt. I never used THAT much anyway. I also check labels like a hawk. Check out canned tomatoes. Different brands vary greatly in sodium content.

This is a good looking dish, even if it is meatless.

TeachMom said...

This looks divine. And light. Nice. :)

The Duo Dishes said...

We don't cook with cauliflower enough! You've reminded us to put it on the shop list.

Half Baked said...

That looks so good and its healthy too!! Great recipe:)

Lori Lynn said...

Oh I don't think I'd miss the salt here, sounds very flavorful.

To your good health!
LL

Dharm said...

This looks just super! I love how easy this seems and yet looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing this - I'm definitely trying it soon.

we are never full said...

i absolutely loved this pasta when we reviewed it. i think it's the best dried pasta i've ever had. but unfortunately, i can't find it in any of my stores - and i don't have a costco membership!

Marye said...

I need to try this. :) I love balsamic!

Luca and Sabrina said...

We love pasta and your dish is simply gorgeous!!!!! We' d die for it!
Kisses by Sabrina&Luca

Soma said...

This is simply wonderful! So easily done, full of flavors, something which i feel like trying right away.

♥Rosie♥ said...

A wonderful tasty looking pasta dish Coco. Pasta happens to be one of my favourite foods.

Rosie x

Heather said...

This would be a perfect meal since I've been relatively uninterested in meat lately. Nice and roasty and twangy from the balsamic.

Peter M said...

Big chunky veggies make a pasta dish a hearty meal and healthy too! I also like grilling the veggies and tossing them.