Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

5.29.2009

Pytt I Panna ( A Swedish Hash) with Marx Foods Elk Sausage


I love Marx Foods offerings and contests. Recently they asked for all bloggers to leave a comment on what they would do with their game sausage sampler. They would pick 11 lucky people and ship them a sausage variety from the sampler to create a recipe by June 5. Then the polls would open and the votes begin. I was hoping for the boar variety to make a timbale or sartu ,but I got the Elk with Pears and Port Wine. When I think of Elk, I think of Sweden where the consumption is huge. Elk is low in fat and cholesterol and perfect alternative for red meat eaters who need to watch those things.
My Certain Someone ,as most of regular readers know has a house in Sweden. One of his favorite dishes to make for his boys on Poker night is Pytt I Panna( Swedish Hash), which literally translates to" small things in a pan".Of course he uses the frozen variety. Both the Swedes and Danes have their versions and there are really no rules for Pytt I Panna, except that it contains leftover meats, cubed potatoes, onion, and bacon. Pytt I Panna is then topped with a fried egg and garnished with pickled beets and gherkins. It may not look like much, but its good and hits the spot. A lot of people use the ready made frozen variety but I wanted to make mine from scratch and more home style. The Elk sausage, while not a traditional meat for this dish, was really good. Certain Someone would have liked my potatoes smaller, but really loved the sausage and his plate was cleaned. So whether you want a quick brunch, hangover cure, or simple meal at home with your friend and loved ones with lack of pretension, try this humble dish and enjoy.The Elk sausage really raises it up a level.



Home style Pytt I Panna with Elk Sausage
serves 4
3/4 lbs chopped smoked bacon( slab cut)
2 3/4 cups chopped onion or approx 1 &1/2 onion
4 Elk Sausage with Pear and Port wine, sliced in to 1 inch pieces
6 medium potatoes boiled with skin , and chopped small
salt and pepper to taste

Parsley chopped
4 eggs fried to garnish
Picked beets for garnish
Gherkins for garnish

In a large skillet, brown bacon . When bacon is halfway done, but not golden, add elk sausage and brown. Bacon and sausage will continue to cook until golden and done. Remove meats from the pan and set aside. At this point you want to save the oils from the sausage and bacon and leave in pan. Add the onions to the hot oil and start to saute. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Toss and stir occasionally to cook evenly and brown a bit. When potatoes and onions are soft and well mixed , add the meats( bacon and elk sausage) and continue to cook to brown.
I an separate fry pan fry up your eggs for each serving. Plate the Pytt I Panna and top each serving with a friend egg. Garnish with beets and gherkins.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Bren said...

the egg on top reminds so much of how the Spanish (and some Latinos) eat rice dishes! don't eat sausage but this looks really good! great recipe! Love the port wine!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks delicious! I'd love to try elk sausage, yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jen said...

This looks wonderful, although I might prefer it for a cold winter's night.

I love the name of the dish, too!

TeachMom said...

Ah, pyttipanna! Great to use for leftovers. A very nice version! :)

maybelle's mom said...

oh, I have been reading the wallander books and this is just in keeping. The fried egg look great?

Lori Lynn said...

Sounds delicious and satisfying. Love the egg, beet, and gherkin garnish, your plating makes it look like terrific comfort food.
LL

Megan said...

That would hit the spot right now. Love what you did with your sausage. I'm cookin the boar tonight!

linda said...

Love this kind of hearty food!

Elyse said...

I've never had elk, but I'm totally intrigued to buy it. It sounds so healthy and satisfying. This hash looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

elk sausage? very interesting. never had it before but would love to try it, especially your recipe. have a great week.

paz

Jen said...

Hi Courtney-- looks great. I know this dish my its Danish name of biksemad... it's a great way to use up leftovers... next time I'll have to make it with sausage for a real treat.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

There are many elk in Northern Alberta but I have never had the pleasure. Lucky you to win:D

The Caked Crusader said...

what an interesting dish! I do like the way much of Europe uses gherkins liberally in dishes - I wish we did in England

♥Rosie♥ said...

That looks delicious Coco! I have never tried elk.

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Courtney! I just had my very first taste of Elk meat while in Idaho. My son-in-law had some frozen from his last hunting trip. My grand-daughter loves it and she's not much of a meat eater. It really was very good and like you say it's a perfect alternative to red meat. Not gamey at all. Hmmm...I think he has some ground up. I may suggest sausage making to him.

The egg on top of your dish does remind me of a Spanish meal however, the garnishes just make you want to pucker up!

Thanks for sharing...

Peter M said...

I love this dish but hate it that us Canadians are always left out of these food promotions in the US.

I think you should send me a care package.

Laurie said...

Wow.. if I was going to try Elk I think sausage would be the way to go. You are so creative Courtney! :)
It looks yummy!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Another creative dish by you Courtney! Your combinations always surprise me, I never tried elk, is it very gamey?

Anonymous said...

I was trying to find the English word for Pyttipanna and I found it. ;-)
Now I know this is an old post, but who cares. Me, as a Swede who has been eating melk since I was a few months old, it's scary. Scary that so many has never tasted it.

I prefer elk meat, dried elk meat or whatever the most. Then reindeer isn't bad either but I don't like bear, it's kinda sweet.
I understand it's probably normal that not so many has tried elk meat but as to me it's like lskhddhdlsdh, unbelieveable. :-)

When well made elk meat is like heaven. I promise - and imagine how well treated they've been through their lives. Not were they forced to eat a lot of shit to grow thick and be slaughtered by the age of 1.