Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

5.17.2009

Green Hummus From Fresh Garbanzo Beans...MLLA11


While looking on at clearance fruit and vegetable racks at Pete's the other day, I came across a huge bag of fresh Garbanzo beans.
I had to ask the clerk what they were exactly. See, I'm used to the dried yellow variety or the ones in cans. The lovely Caron Golden, an expert on the many uses of fava and Garbanzos sent me her link to some great recipes. She advised to savor the garbanzos alone as snack to 'taste the green', and boy was she right!Be warned the shelling and popping takes a while, but the result is worth the effort. I decided to do a simple 'hummus' variation, served with quartered baked tortillas. I'm submitting this to Lori Lynn for My Legume Love Affair Eleventh Helping, created by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook.
Fresh Green Hummus
2 cups shelled Garbanzo Beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Spike salt free( I am restricting my salt intake)
or sea salt to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
chili oil to drizzle
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Tortillas baked and cut into quarters.
Shell Garbanzo beans. Lightly steam until just tender. Remove from heat. In a glass bowl with an immersion blender, puree beans, spices, cilantro, olive oil, and lemon juice. Place in serving dish. Drizzle hot chili oil on top. Serve with baked tortillas that have been quartered.
Please vote for me in Ile De France Recipe Contest.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 comments:

Maria said...

What a great snack, love the vibrant color too!

The Caked Crusader said...

I love hummus - this looks divine!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'd love to find fresh garbanzo beans here! A delicious looking hummus!

Cheers,

Rosa

MrOrph said...

I told you hummus was it. I know it was kickin' with those fresh beans.

Nina Timm said...

I love the color...so vibrant and I bet delicious too!!!

Soma said...

This was indeed a nice idea to make hummus with these. I always buy the green chickpeas whenever i see them, but in my home they are always consumed raw:-)

Your goat cheese recipe is LOVELY! very elegant.

Kasha said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog! I am so flattered! I sure do hope to have a blog like this one day!
Kasha
http://grubandstuff.blogspot.com/

Laurie said...

What a delicious and creative looking dip!

Jen said...

I'd never even heard of green garbanzo beans. The dip looks gorgeous!

Cynthia said...

Fresh chickpeas. I am officially jealous.

Unknown said...

I never even thought of fresh garbanzos. DUH! Now I want to find them....No. Make that NEED to find them!

Jude said...

Will have to give Pete's a visit. I've never had fresh garbanzos before.

Peter M said...

I love the colour of this dip...straight forward yet creative.

Gabi said...

Fresh Garbanzos are good aren't they?- we had some a while back and I'm going to try to plant some and see what we get. Love the hummus!
xo

linda said...

Wow, talk about green!! Delicious!

Michelle said...

We love garbonzo beans and your Hummus looks de-licious!!!

Have a nice trip!

Big Boys Oven said...

this must be awesome delicious. i really want to finger into it! lol!

sj said...

yum... look so pretty, fresh and delicious!

Deborah said...

I have never seen garbanzo beans like this. They look wonderful!

Half Baked said...

I've never used fresh chick peas but I'll be on the look out for them now! Your hummus looks great!

Unknown said...

Oh, I bet that made the best hummus ever! I'd love to get my hands on some fresh garbanzo beans. Looks delicious!

RecipeGirl said...

I've never, ever even seen fresh garbanzos. What a fun find! I'm definitely going to have to search for them & talk to Caron a bit about what to do with them.

Mansi said...

OOH! that looks lovely, and my hubby loves green garbanzo!:) gotta try it tonight:)

Lori Lynn said...

First of all Courtney, the green hummus is a great dish for MLLA, thanks so much. But I also want to thank you because I learned something new, I never knew about green garbanzo beans, this is very interesting to me, I will have to search them out!
Lori Lynn

Ana Powell said...

Lovely snack and beautiful colour.
Congratulations on your Blog.
Really great x

Johanna GGG said...

I've never seen fresh garbanzos before - how amazing they look and the hummus looks a great way to use them

Simona Carini said...

What a great color! I eed to find some green garbanzo beans now...