Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

10.05.2009

Retro Cocktail ...The Pink Squirrel Martini



Whats old is new. Isn't that always the case? Maybe the world is so crazy that we find comfort in past. Whilst pursing a new age pursuit , Twitter, I found out about a liqueur called Creme de Noyaux. I had heard some pastry types go on about Noyaux and how its extracted from apricot kernals. Noyaux has always been that elusive almond flavor I could never identify, and now I know! So when a kind gentleman who shall be referred to as Oxford Falls offered some Pink Squirrel Cocktails on Twitter for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, my curiosity was piqued that there was an liqueur made of this stuff.
Don't let the Pepto Bismal pink color throw you off. This stuff is yummy.The liqueur is a clear red color, but added to cream changes color. This would be awesome in baking. The original Pink Squirrel was created in Milwaukee at Bryant's Cocktail Lounge. It consisted of Creme de Noyaux, Ice Cream, and Creme de Cacao. That was a little rich for my blood. Many variations have come and gone. I like this one I saw on the AMC site for the Series Mad Men. The addition of vodka cuts that sweetness a bit. Don't let the light froth color deceive you. It will sneak up on you. There are a few other cocktail to made with this liqueur. I'm fascinated but the Old Etonian cocktail. What does that say about the school? Really?

Pink Squirrel Martini
3/4 oz Creme de Noyaux
3/4 oz Creme de cacao
1/2 oz Vodka
1 oz fresh cream

Pour all ingredients over ice in a shaker. Serve strained in a chilled martini glass

Posted by Picasa

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Nina Timm said...

I don't drink, Courtney, but I have to agree, the color is gorgeous!!!!

maybelle's mom said...

THe old Tiki Club in Hyde Park made these. They were lovely. But, that said we had this college party that was only pink drinks--slo gin fizzes, etc, and everyone had terrible hangovers.

Dee said...

Hi Coco, it's been a while hasn't it?

I'm a cheap date, but think a cocktail at five is the height of sophistication. You can tell I don't get out much.

I haven't heard of Creme de Noyaux, and although it sounds amazing, I doubt I'd find it here. Sigh.

Have a good weekend, dearie.

Rich said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Núria said...

What a funny name for a cocktail!!! Hand me a glass, please ;D

Laurie said...

This creamy cocktail sounds delicious!

Chibog in Chief said...

OMG this is soo good! I am so making this !!

Beth said...

Man, I love Pink Squirrels! Had my first one at a throwback bar on Armitage called Weegee's. Hooked for life!

Lori Lynn said...

Love your bow tie! It sounds like too much for my taste but my mother would love it! She likes the grasshopper too.
Great cocktail for awareness month.
LL

Proud Italian Cook said...

Love your presentation with the bow tie Courtney.

The Caked Crusader said...

I have never heard of creme de noyaux - one to look out for!
Love the bow tie too!

~~louise~~ said...

ooo la la this looks so much more creamier than a Pink Elephant. I likey...

Lori E said...

Well I always thought I knew a lot about alcohol but this is new to me as well and one of my sons is a bartender. I'll have to mention it to him.