Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

2.07.2008

China Long Bean with Shrimp and Mushrooms in Black Bean Garlic Sauce





I found these great China Long Beans today in search of a variety of mushrooms. I don’t know about you but I love Szechwan style string beans when we eat Chinese food. All of these Chinese New Year posts this week have me craving some. I want to lay off the heavy carbs (Certain Someone is out of town so I can get away with it) and decided to use the long beans in a quick stir-fry with Enoki, Shitake, and Oyster mushrooms, shrimp, Sambal Oelek, and Black Bean Garlic Sauce. Long Beans are a legume related to the black eye pea family. Full of protein and other essentials, they scream healthy as well as tasty. I also reason this is great dish to turn in for The Well Seasoned Cook’s …My Legume Love Affair! I have two types of legumes in both the black bean and long beans.



China Long Bean with Shrimp and Mushrooms in a Black Bean Garlic Sauce
Serves 2-3 persons

1 bunch China Long Bean cut into manageable pieces (I cut mine into thirds)
1 cup assorted mushrooms (enoki, shitake, oyster, etc,)
25 raw shrimp with shells on (of course you can add more or less)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek (available pre made in Asian specialty depts.)
1 tablespoon Black Bean Garlic Sauce (available pre made in Asian specialty depts.)


Heat wok to very hot. Add oil. Add beans and fry for approx 5-8 min until they start to brown and pucker in the skin. This brings out the flavor of the bean. Add shrimp and cook until just pink. Add quickly the mushrooms. Toss quickly and add the Sambal Olelek and Black Bean Garlic Sauce. Toss until evenly coated and serve warm.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Susan said...

It's great to see a green bean recipe! This looks so good, I want to pile it high atop a bowl of brown rice.

Thanks for joining in!

Mary said...

Wow this looks fantastic! I could definitely do the low carb thing and just eat it on its own!

Chou said...

Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum. I saw some of those beans in a store yesterday and wandered off wondering what they were used for. Now I know!!!

Anonymous said...

Those beans are craaazy :)

Cynthia said...

In Guyana we grow these long beans and call them bora :) Thanks to the influence of the Guyanese farmers, it is now planted here in Barbados. It is one of my favourite vegetable and I like it prepared with shrimp just as you have it here :) I'm so excited to see it.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I was always excited when the farmers' market had Chinese long beans. I love their thick, almost chewy texture and adore them stir-fried with rice. Your recipe sounds delicious!

Pixie said...

Wow! Look at those beans; don't think I've ever came across that veg before. We have to drive a half an hour away just to get to a Chinese Shop.

Your dish looks fantastic!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I love green beans, especially cooked with Asian inspired ingredients. Delicious!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

i love this dark green beans , they even go so well with beef. Never tried them with prawns , only stir fried beef with scallions and string beans .
This is a gr8 variation and looks delicious.

jasmine said...

Now this looks like a good way to fend off this chilly weather.

j

Deborah said...

This looks wonderful!! I've never seen the long beans here, but I have had them at a restaurant before. What a fantastic meal!

sra said...

I was reading 'shrimp' but 'seeing' cashew nuts in the picture. That gives me an idea!