Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

2.03.2008

Koesisters...Time to Make Doughnuts Event



When Tartlette and Peabody announced their Time to Make Doughnuts event, I got excited. Then that little nagging voice said to me “Girl you don’t need to make any doughnuts….” Evidenced by last night when I couldn’t zip my skirt up to the waist( granted I hadn’t worn it some years).Nevertheless its Super bowl Sunday and I want some doughnuts to munch on. I had planned on making some Berliners for Certain Someone as he’s German and that what he wanted. I changed my mind and decided to do a less stressful but equally delicious recipe from Marcus Samuelsson’s Discovery of a Continent, Foods Flavors and Inspirations From Africa. This is an abridged version of Soul of a New Cuisine, Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa, from Starbucks.
Koesiters are a Cape Town favorite on Sundays after church. There are a few variations that are braided or dipped in sugary syrups. This version is Marcus’ favorite that he learnt from Peter and Marilyn Carelon, a South African couple. They are highly spiced with cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. I made some minor substitutions as I didn’t have brown sugar, so I used Demarra Sugar run through the coffee grinder. Also I used Evaporated milk instead because we only had skim milk in the house. I apologize for my not so perfect ball shapes. But the taste was simple, not too sweet, and full of spice. A treat you don’t feel too guilty about.

Koesiters adapted from Marcus Samuelsson’s Discovery of a Continent, Foods Flavors and Inspirations From Africa.

6 tablespoons warm water
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 package or 2 ¼ teaspoons dry active yeast
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 extra large egg yolks
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
About 4 cups canola oil for deep frying.

Combine water, granulated sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Set in a warm place and allow to sit until yeast bubbles. Approx 5-10 min.
Add flour and salt to the yeast mixture. Mix with electric mixer (I used my Stand Mixer) on low until well combined. Beat in egg yolks, one at time until all is well incorporated.
Combine milk and butter in a saucepan and heat until butter is melted. While mixer is running, add the milk mixture, beating until it’s incorporated. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Let sit in warm place until doubled in size. Approx 40 min.
Punch the dough down and turn out onto floured surface. Cut into 20 pieces, roll each one into a ball, and arrange in a single layer on baking sheet. Set in warm place and let rise for 20 min.
While dough is rising toss brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom in large bowl. Set aside
Heat 3 inches of canola oil in a deep pot to 350 degrees. Working in batches.Fry until golden brown.Turn to brown each side. Approx 3- 4 min.
Serve Warm.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Mary said...

They sound delicious! I'm far too full to want to eat one. Superbowl equals chili and chips at our house (after the salad of course!) But I think that's a really great donut!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Mmmhhhh, yummy. Those doughnuts look fabulous!

cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Your doughnuts look so delicious! Love the spices used.

Helene said...

Thank you for your entry! They look delicious! I loved reading about their origins too!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Sweet and spicy, sounds real good!Nice little bite size yummy's!!

Deborah said...

I was going to make donuts yesterday, but I got wiped out from shoveling snow. Hopefully this week!

Your donuts look great!!

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds so yummy! I do love cardamom, I bet it tastes great on a doughnut! YUM

Emily said...

I swear, I can smell the doughnuts from my computer screen. :)

Interesting choice, and I liked hearing about them.

PS I definitely DO NOT need to be eating anymore doughnuts.

Anonymous said...

My waist is already big, so I'll eat yours for ya! :) Why should you suffer?

kellypea said...

Mmm...they sound so good -- especially the spice. I was tempted to make some with spice, but was drooling over the idea of raspberry jelly. As far as the shape goes -- they're pretty cute. YUM! And I'll bet it's pretty hard to just eat one!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful donuts. Love the addition of cardamom.

Gretchen Noelle said...

These look tasty! I always love hearing about treats from other places!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I learnt of a new doughnut today. And I love cardamom, so these must be good. As far as the shape goes, there's a lot of beauty in imperfection too.