Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

12.01.2008

12 Days Of Cookies A Gourmet Cookie Extravaganza...(Navettes Sucrees) Sugar Shuttles

I love food blogging and Twitter. Twitter is my latest addiction. If I hadn't signed up for Twitter I would never had received an invitation from Andrea to participate in baking a collection of recipes from Gourmet.com. Gourmet has complied cookie recipes from 1941-2008 for the holidays! Each of us choose 12 cookies to bake and will present our cookies over the next 12 days. That's a lot of baking, but I couldn't resist. The trick is to do recipes in batches so your are not stressed each day. I also don't want to be stressed about my bank account so I have tried to pick recipes where I have most of the ingredients on hand. But after a day of baking, I will have to stock up some more. What am I going to do with all these cookies you ask? Give them away to friends, family, etc all boxed up nice. How's that for holiday cheer!
My first recipe is from December 1951 ,Navettes Sucrees( Sugar Shuttles).I have to say thus far this is one my favorites.Not to sweet and a little elegant cookie. They are called sugar shuttles because they look like a part that holds the thread on a sewing machine. Well if they say so. I love how the dough is dipped in egg whites and then rolled in sugar giving it a gentle crunch. Some of the older recipes don't list the ingredients first and this caused some confusion for me at times.But Gourmet. com clearly states on each recipe that they have left the recipes unchanged and they are how they were originally printed.I'm sure some housewives back then where cursing them out! I had some issues with this recipe. I had to add an additional 2 tablespoons of butter, as the dough was dry. And I forgot to butter the parchment on the first batch. They turned out perfect! However the last batch I baked on buttered parchment. Those kind of caramelized and burned on the bottom so I recommend you just place them on parchment. Thankfully there were not many in that batch.With all the richness and over indulgence this holiday,these cookies are simple , wholesome , and satisfying while not being to rich nor sweet.

Be sure to visit my other baking friends and see what they chose to bake for the holidays from Gourmet.com.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

23 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look fantastic! A great event!

Good baking and cheers,

Rosa

Núria said...

I can smell them from here Courtney!!!! MMmmm I love the Christmas environment you created :D. Lovely batch and fantastic event!!!

Nina Timm said...

You are very brave my dear.....the thought of where in my day I will fit this, is too much to even think about!!!! Good luck!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Wonderful job Courtney. They look so elegant! Fun huh?

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is quite an undertaking Courtney and looks like a fun way to begin the holiday baking,planning, etc

Andrea Meyers said...

Girl, I would have invited you even if you weren't on Twitter! These look so good, and they look like they have a perfect crunch.

Peter M said...

Made my list, will check the others out. It will be interesting to see the old skool cookies in this age.

Anonymous said...

mmm i love vintage dessert recipes. What a wonderful challenge ! :D

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful event!
They look delicious! Love the idea of rolling in egg white and sugar, yum!
Happy baking!

Rosie said...

What a great event Coco!! Memories of Christmas come flooding back here :)

Rosie x

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Courtney,
The Twelve Days of cookies sounds like so much fun! Not to mention all those boxes of goodies lucky recipients will receive.

I hope a few cut out cookies are on that list. The first week of December is National Cookie Cutter Week! I can't wait for the next batch:)

Megan said...

What a fun event. With the 12 days of cookies, it seems like the holiday will be here that much quicker. You know what I mean? Cant wait to see tomorrows!
BTW-Twitter and facebook are both quite addicting, aren't they? :)
See ya on facebook!

Anonymous said...

I was going to make those! They sound like something I'd have trouble keeping my hands off of ;)
You are so right on the directions. I'm rewriting them as I go because some of them are so crude. Nice start! Let's see how we all feel in a couple of weeks, right?

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, they're so pretty! These were on my list too (they seem a popular choice). One day down - many more cookies to come :)

Sandy Smith said...

These are gorgeous! I have them on my list ~ both of my kids picked them as their top choices. Now that I've seen yours, I think I'll bump them up in the queue!

Anonymous said...

how cool is THAT? They look great, Courtney!

Ivy said...

Wow, you are all tempting us to begin baking cookies. I love all the recipes I read today.

Deborah said...

That is a lot of cookies - but how fun!! These look very delicious!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Just lovely! Those lucky cookie recipients!

Paz

Lori Lynn said...

I'm still not a Twitterer, only a matter of time I guess. Love this idea, your cookies sound great, love the nostalgia. I'm sure your friends will appreciate the special gift.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I wouldn't begin to know what to do with twitter, I'm still figuring out blogging!! Just getting around and commenting takes so much time, thank goodness I'm a night owl! Your cookie making venture sounds great!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

cookie + the holidays? I am so going to enjoy this series of posts.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.