Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

12.02.2008

12 Days Of Cookies A Gourmet Cookie Extravaganza...Benne Wafers

Hey! You're still with me on Day 2 of this cookie extravaganza? Great! We still got 10 more to go! On the second day of Christmas Glamah baked for me...Benne Wafers and Navettes Sucrees! This recipe was the first one I chose to bake. I had never heard of Benne Wafers before. I knew I had some sesame seeds sitting in my pantry from a Daring Baker challenge. They are caramelized cookies with benne seeds( sesame seeds). Benne Wafers are popular in South Carolina and other southern parts.Benne seeds are known as the seeds of good luck! seemed easy and minimal. I didn't even research this one before, just choosing to stick to Gourmet.com version that was published in November 1954. Don't they look pretty? Well all hell broke lose before I photographed this. I mixed up the batter that curiously only called for 2 tablespoons of flour. I did use dark brown sugar rather than light, because that's what I had.I flattened the spoonfuls down on buttered parchment with a knife dipped in ice water. When I came to take them out they had spread into one thin sheet. I was about to toss them but grabbed a round cutter and cut the thin mess while warm. They cooled down to a buttery almost brittle like cookie. I tore away the scraps and from the cutter and ended up with a quite a few presentable wafers! Good thinking. I googled this cookie and found most modern recipes call for way more flour( like cups!)Oh well. I have to say these were tasty and crispy. A unusual treat for cookie boxes this holiday season.


Be sure to visit my other baking friends as we prepare cookies from Gourmet.com this holiday season!
Jerry - http://www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com/

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those cookies are delicious! I love sesame seeds...

Cheers,

Rosa

TeachMom said...

These looks very yummy. I love sesame seeds as well. This is a fun way to spend time until Christmas! :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These remind me of one of my childhood favourite treats Sesame Snaps:D

Anonymous said...

Look at you! 12 days of cookies, what an amazing idea, there is no way I can do it this year (my mixer broke and has put a serious crimp in my baking plans) but I'll be checking out your handy work!

Jen said...

We got a package of these when my BIL lived in SC - they were delicious and unusual!

Peter M said...

Wafer cookies like these are dangerous...you think 'cause they are so thin you keep popping them in your mouth but...before you know it you've eaten a Pringles-like stack!

Anonymous said...

You are so smart! I can imagine seeing those cookies all spread out like that, and yes, it's happened to me before. I just didn't think of getting out my cutter! The flour quantity is so strange. I wonder if it was a typo? You guys are making me nervous about trying one of the old recipes...

maybelle's mom said...

Wow, those are lovely. really stunning.

Sandy Smith said...

I'm loving these! Could you crumble the scraps and put them on ice cream? Or forget that, I'd probably just eat them off the baking sheet. :)

Great work, especially thinking on your feet like that!

Núria said...

The cookies certainly look great Courtney!!!! Keeping the same Photographer? ;D

Rosie said...

I'm still with you on on your cookie bake. My goodness these cookies look great Coco.

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the cookie extravaganza and I'm loving what I see. More delicious-sounding cookies! Keep 'em coming.

Paz

Heather said...

i love the cookie posts! these all look so good :) i'm excited to see what else you make!!

Anonymous said...

Indeed good thinking to use a cookie cutter! I love the look and sound of those crispy thin sesame cookies, yum!

~~louise~~ said...

I can see I'm sure gonna LOVE this week. So much so that I have added your link to my latest post. Bake Cookies; Think Christmas.

Courtney, nice save on the wafers by the way. GREAT job!

Anonymous said...

so curious that it called for such little flour - but they do look lovely in the photo! Nice job.

Christine said...

These cookies sound great, and a nice change from the traditional flavors.

Andrea Meyers said...

Your benne wafers look great, and how smart are you to grab out the cookie cutter? And how fun that we both chose these and posted on the same day! I didn't plan to post mine today, but didn't have molasses for one of my cookies and had to bump these up a couple days.

Y said...

I'm not familiar with benne wafers, but already feel like I'm missing out because they sound pretty darn good!