Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

12.12.2008

12 Days Of Cookies A Gourmet Cookie Extravaganza...Brandy Snaps

On the 12th Day of Cookies( and the last) Glamah baked for me Brandy Snaps! I was drawn to the photo in Gourmet immediately. They looked so elegant, and for some odd reason I assumed they had alcohol in them.I remedied that by adding to Cointreau to the cooked batter.This batter is entirely cooked on top of the stove and then baked . Several of my Cookie Pals tried this recipe and had some issues with it. But from what I saw of their results , I was undeterred. They all looked so good still. Published in July 1949, this recipe reminded me more of a confection than a cookie.I love molasses and ginger, so those strong flavors didn't put me off. I can see this cookie being a nice digestive after dinner with tea. Molasses and ginger have wonderful healthful properties. So on this last day of cookies , weary from a crappy day at work, I attempted this. And you know, I didn't have much issues. I used parchment so buttering the cookie sheet was unnecessary. After a few torn snaps, I let them cool a bit before using my nimble fingers and the wooden spoon to form while warm but pliable. I really love the presentation of these . I can see them served up with ice cream, sorbets, tea, coffees, and even holiday cheese and fruit trays.
Thank you all for reading these 12 Days Of Cookies posts. I haven't blogged consecutively like that before, and it was a challenge. Certain Someone is relieved that all this cookie madness is over.But I don't regret doing this. I made some new friends and learned a lot. If anything it reinforced that I love to bake. And for 12 days I was able to spread some holiday cheer with the fruits of my labor. Certain Someone and I leave for Germany next week and I wont be blogging for the last two weeks of December, but I will squeeze maybe one or two post before then. A big thanks to my Cookie gang and Andrea for inviting me. I know we screamed about these recipes and Gourmet but it was all in good fun. Nothing was wasted as it can all be salvaged and put to use later.I would suggest the folks at Gourmet give their editors test kitchen notes if they decide to publish vintage recipes in the future. We realize there was a disclaimer, but some insight into how they adapted these recipes to modern kitchens would be welcome.
Be sure to visit my other baking friends and see what they chose to bake for the holidays from Gourmet.com.
Jerry -
http://www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com/
Judy - http://www.nofearentertaining.blogspot.com/
Sandy - http://www.bakersbench.blogspot.com/
Kelly - http://sassandveracity.typepad.com/
Claire - http://www.thebarefootkitchen.com/
Andrea - http://www.andreasrecipes.com/

Stumble Upon Toolbar

23 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, pretty! I love those cookies!

Cheers and have a great weekend,

Rosa

Nina Timm said...

If I had to pick a favorite of your 12 cookies, this would be it. I fill these with Lavender cream...delish!! Good on you for completing this daunting task!!

TeachMom said...

Well done, you are finished! Now you can take it easy and prepare for the trip. You are just going to Germany, right? Not even a teensie weensie litte stop in Stockholm? :)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great job Courtney! I love that you succeeded with these! It was so much fun doing this with you! Next year???

Heather said...

You did a great job! Now just dip these in melted chocolate and I'll eat ten pounds of them.

I gotta hand it to you and Judy - baking is a pain in the ass and you did it. :)

utenzi said...

You ended your 12 day cookie stretch on a great note. These cookies look wonderful.

Laurie said...

This sounds lovely! I love crispy thin cookies! And they look so pretty in that glass too!

Christmas in Germany will be beautiful.. Have a wonderful time!

Lori Lynn said...

What an achievement, the 12 days of cookies. I am totally impressed! Love these brandy snaps, especially their shape. Have a Merry Christmas and a great time in Germany.
Lori Lynn

Beth said...

Those cookies are gorgeous. What a beautiful way to close out your 12 days!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Courtney, You did such an incredible job! I'm thrilled for you! The Brandy Snaps look delectable...I too enjoy the meld of molasses and ginger. As a matter of fact, they're the best ingredients for gingerbread and today is...Gingerbread House Day!

Do we see a Gingerbread House in the future???

Enjoy Germany you deserve it! Lots of gingerbread houses there.

Anonymous said...

Job well done with all the cookies!

Paz

Kathy said...

I really enjoyed reading about all the cookies. You did a great job!

Peter M said...

Ya know you'd have to make a large of these...I alone would have about 6...so do the math!

I think your German relations would love a batch of these, nein?

Anonymous said...

Nice job! I had enough issues with these to allow everyone from here on to bake successfully. Yours are lovely, and look nice and crunchy! Have fun in Germany. What a lovely way to spend this time of year. I'll look forward to your posts about your lovely time.

Deborah said...

Wonderful job on your 12 days of cookies!! I don't think I would have been able to keep up! And I'm jealous that you get to go somewhere for Christmas - I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Sandy Smith said...

Wow - you did a spectacular job with these! Perfect!

Have a wonderful, safe trip! See you again for cookies next year? :)

Luca and Sabrina said...

Well done, Glamah, we have followed your hard job....12 days of cookies....that's a huge business! Have a nice trip and be happy!
Kisses by Sabrina&Luca

Megan said...

I got behind in my reading but I'm just now catching up. All the cookies look so good. I'll bet it was a lot of work to pull this off but it looks like it was so worth it. Happy Holidays and have a great trip!

Ivy said...

Well done Courtney, congratulations for all the hard work. Hope you'll have a great time in Germany and Happy Holidays.

Andrea Meyers said...

Very well done! They look lovely in the glass. And the Cointreau sounds perfect to me. :-)

Jeanne said...

Yaaaay - so glad you got round to brandy snaps in your 12 hectic days of baking! They are some of my all-time favourites. Yummy pics too :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

I love the way these sound, and look. Congrats on all your cookie baking here. You did good kid!
Christmas in Germany? How cool is that! Have a wonderful time Courtney and a great holiday to you and your CS.

Susan said...

Elegant. After I messed up an entire batch of Cigarettes Russe, I want to try my hand at these.

You're a trooper, Courtney! My hat's off to your festival of cookies!