Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

12.09.2008

12 Days Of Cookies A Gourmet Cookie Extravaganza...Rugelach


On the 9th of Holiday Cookies Glamah made for me Rugelach! Can I just say I adore this classic Jewish cookie. I made it once years ago from a recipe in The Book Of Jewish Food by Claudia Roden. The cream cheese dough is easy to fall in love with.I also made a non traditional version with some chocolate thrown in with the preserves and nuts back then. Rugelach are essentially a cream cheese based cookie dough rolled up with apricot or raspberry jam,walnuts, and raisins. The recipe from Gourmet actually is a heirloom recipe from an food editor and was published in May 2004. It differs because the Rugelach is rolled, scored, and baked as a whole log, rather than sliced before baking. You slice the cookie afterwards. It makes a moister cookie and not as crispy as other I have had. I took baking artistic license. Now traditionalists will get up in arms, but its my cookie. I used the traditional recipe of Apricot preserves, raisins, walnuts, etc. I also made a raspberry, chocolate, walnut version, and played around with rose preserves and chocolate!Be careful with the thin rose preserves as they flow out of the seams when baking.It was almost a disaster but the result was a nice twist from traditional holiday flavors which can get cloying after a while. My intent was to create a pretty tray for a party later that evening. It amazes me what a favorite Rugelach is to all cultures! This cookie went over very well. Even Certain Someone who was unfamiliar with the cookie before, said mine was better than one he tried the next day at work( which was purchased). Go figure!

Be sure to visit my other baking friends and see what they chose to bake for the holidays from Gourmet.com.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Ooohhh, that must be incredibly delicious! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

We posted the same cookies on the same day! LOL!!! I loved these but was not nearly as creative with mine as you were with yours. I bet they were incredible with the chocolate!!!

Anonymous said...

ooo..these look awesome. Can I have one? ..or, um, 50!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I'm with Maryann. I just want a whole box full. You know...to share with others ;)

Peter M said...

Oh yes, my second helping of Rugelach today...bet I could eat a whole roll!

Christine said...

Your filling combinations are amazing! The rose preserves and chocolates remind me of a Dagoba flavor.

Andrea Meyers said...

Oh how I adore rugelach, and yours look and sound so good. The rose and chocolate one sounds amazing.

Jen said...

I never used to like rugelach but now I think they're delicious... I love your filling choices.

~~louise~~ said...

I LOVE Rugelach! I'm with certain someone on this. Your Rugelach doesn't look anything like I've ever seen! I'm dying to taste one, oh please...

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! I really want some of this NOW.

Paz *sighing*

giz said...

How cool are you!!! I'm going to have to make you an honorary "member of the tribe" with these rugalach. My mom always made them in a log form but she called them roly poly. It's really hard to stop at just one. Ina's recipe is excellent too.

Sandy Smith said...

Ooh, pretty! And they sound delicious! Love your variations ~ very creative. :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I like this method of making rugelach much more than the timeconsuming little croissant type. I love the tender flakiness of these:D

Nina Timm said...

Mmmmm, steaming cup of black coffee in the one hand and a few of your cookies in the other....get the picture?? I sure do!!

Anonymous said...

After seeing both yours and Judy's I know I need to make these now. Anything with apricots -- and the cream cheese? Oh, my! And you've really got me thinking about the rose preserves. Goodness! So creative!

Anonymous said...

I love rugelach and I've never tried to make it. Chocolate, walnut, raspberry sounds fantastic.

Jeanne said...

Do you know, I've never made rugelach?? And now I find myself wodnering why the heck not?! Love your non-traditional flavours too!