Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

12.11.2008

12 Days Of Cookies A Gourmet Cookie Extravaganza...Galettes De Noel(Deep Fried Wafers)

On the 11th day of Cookies Glamah baked (Fried)for me Galettes De Noel( Deep Fried Wafers).Gourmet published this recipe in 1969. The editors summarize this sweet by saying every country has a version of a fried dough sprinkled with powdered sugar. They found this version more appealing as they discovered it in the South of France. I'm trying to imagine a young Bridget Bardot nibbling on these back then.

I really had high hopes for these. They didn't disappoint, but they didn't come out as crispy as I would have liked. The Galettes had more texture than a funnel cake, but didn't crack apart throughout as the picture on the recipe. I halved the recipe,rolled the dough out paper thin between sheets of wax paper, and dropped in sizzling vegetable oil. I didn't want them to burn and I removed them when they got really brown. Then the galettes were dredged in confectioners sugar.Gourmet suggest serving them drizzled in hot honey.That just sounded so sexy to me, and really made this recipe. So I would recommend you give it try.I only fried up a few, and put the rest of the dough balls in the freezer to take out. I am perplexed as to why they would categorize this as a cookie (a Galette technically is a flat round cake),but it is a nice treat nevertheless.

Be sure to visit my other baking friends and see what they chose to bake for the holidays from Gourmet.com.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

The look just beautiful!!! I was so afraid of the hot oil thing but I think I should really try these! They do sound sexy don't they?

Nina Timm said...

Can something deep-fried ever be bad....no definitely not!!!! Love this cookie, my friend!

Beth said...

While you're trying to imagine a young Bridget Bardot, I'm trying to imagine myself nibbling them. They look delish! Kudos to you for taking on this cookie challenge. I hope you're finding it rewarding.

Núria said...

Mmmmm Courtney, these are superb!!! The name is so similar in Catalan: Galetes :D... maybe it's a sign that I should try them ;D

Deborah said...

I'm a fan of anything fried, so these look superb to me!!

Christine said...

Sounds yummy! I just need a deep fryer so the oil is less of a mess.

Proud Italian Cook said...

You go girl!! Look at all these cookies! I wish I could take a bite of them all! I think I already gained 5lbs, just from sampling my own cookies! I hate and love, this time of year. If you know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

I love fried dough. These look so yummy, and I agree. That warm honey drizzled on is the clencher. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Deep fried cookies. Who knew! These look fanstastic - maybe next year.

It's been a pleasure baking with you - have a lovely holiday!

Jeanne said...

We saw these at the marche de Noel in France this weekend - and as you say, pick the country that DOESN'T do deep fried dough! My Italian sister-in-law always gets the nonnas at the Italian club in my hometown to make the Italian version of these for Christmas. Well done you for making them!

Anonymous said...

i swear i thought there was a fried egg on top of the cookie for a sec. got excited.