Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.31.2008

Dandelion Greens with Bacon and Fig Balsamic


I received my first vegetable box this morning. I have wanted to start this for a while but the membership fee and costs seemed prohibitive to me. It made sense in the long run, but I didn't want to deal with wait lists, pick up, etc. My belly dance instructor at the new gym I go to referred me to a place called Timber Creek Organics. I love them because there are no memberships fees, you can adjust your order, and even skip a week. All of it is tailor made for you! I decided to go the cheapest route of a basic vegetable box based on seasonal produce. No fruit these two weeks. I received a gorgeous bulb of fennel,onions, radishes, garlic,tomatoes,red leaf lettuce, cauliflower, and two bunches of dandelion leaves.

The first time I ever had Dandelion leaves was in a salad in the early nineties at the Royalton in NYC with my old roommate from college. I came home on the train with a full blown seasonal allergy attack. When I told my mother what I ate, etc she mocked me for a year because I ate overpriced weeds which I had no business eating with my allergies. She was harsh as only a mother can be.Anyway I haven't had them since. I think my body could handle a salad, but I wanted something hot. Plus Certain Someone wouldn't want a salad. I found this informative page and decide to cook them up with some bacon. A spoonful of bacon makes the medicine go down. Is it the most healthiest way? No. But it tastes good and he'll eat it. I was craving pork chop too. Another food I haven't had in a long time. Guess I'm fished out! I breaded the chops in a mixture of Parmesan Reggiano cheese. I learned this trick from Marie at Proud Italian Cook. Certain Someone loves it. I use it for chicken and pork.


Dandelion Greens with Bacon and Fig Balsamic

4 strips of bacon cut into cubes

1/2 onion

1 clove of chopped garlic

2 bunches of Dandelion greens washed and cut into pieces

a splash or 2 of Fig Balsamic Vinegar

1 tablespoon of natural sugar

salt and pepper to taste

Brown bacon. Drain fat. Add onion and garlic.Saute until translucent Add dandelion leaves and balsamic, and sugar. Cook until wilted.Salt and pepper to taste.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Pixie said...

I've yet to have dandelion greens, it seems I haven't tried a lot of things. Are they like arugala(sp?)?

Hope you enjoy your vegie boxes!

Chibog in Chief said...

i love all these flavors: dandelllions leaves with balsamic and sugar!!

Peter M said...

Glmaah, this sounds fab and you wilted the dandelions - not kill'em!

The bitter greens against the bacon? I luv it.

Mary said...

My garden is still a clump of frozen dirt, but I'm getting itchy to plant it. I've seen dandelion greens in the store, but I had no idea what they tasted like. Yours look fantastic!

Rosie said...

I have never eaten dandelion leaves shame on me, but with your recipe I'm sure tempted it looks and sounds delicious!

Your veggie box sounds a great deal too.

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

sounds tasty - the sweetness of the balsamic seems like it would go really well with bitter greens.

also, bacon makes the world go round.

Deborah said...

I have never had dandelion greens before - what an interesting recipe! I wish I could get a veggie box around here...

Thistlemoon said...

Greens and bacon are such a great combination! Certianly a way to get picky eaters to eat their veggies! Maybe it isn't the healthiest, but it sure is GOOD. Love the fig balsamic too! YUMMMM

Proud Italian Cook said...

Bacon and fig balsamic with greens, all sounds like a great combo to me! I can't wait to see what you'll do with the fennel! I'm so glad that CS, is lovin the pork chops like that. :D

Susan said...

I love the Royalton. It's long beyond its hip days, but it's still swank and fun.

Fig balsamic vinegar makes this very tempting...if I can only stop thinking about my father's feeble attempts to rid them from the lawn. ; )

Gabi said...

i love the combination of flavours! I'm going to check out your supplier too :)
I can't wait for your tamale open.
xoxo
Gabi

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful way to prepare dandelions! Delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Helene said...

That looks fantastic! I bet I could make that my whole meal, forget the meat!!

Hendersonville Epicurean said...

The first time I ate D-greens it was to spite my evil stepmother while visiting the deep south with her and my dad. Now I eat them because I like them! Funny how things turn out!!