Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.20.2008

Royal Foodie Joust...Banana Leaf Steamed Salmon with Chili Coconut Rice





I realized with a call out from Dharm that a dish I made before would almost be suitable for this months Royal Foodie Joust.Dharm is hosting the event this month as Jen takes care of business and gets hitched! As much as I love contests I have never entered this competition. Go figure! Bellini Valli called for this months ingredients to be fish from the sea, lime, and coconut. No problem as I want to Incorporated more fish in my diet.Certain Someone came home and immediately sneered at my side of salmon. We got into it. I was more determined than ever to get back control of my kitchen and what I eat after seeing my wide backside on this weeks Top Chef. No close up of me , just a view of my wide Issey Miyake clad ass and his Big Head waiting in line at the Zoo's cocktail party.So with some left over rice, pantry ingredients, and some frozen Banana leaves this is what I came up with, a Pan Asian Hot pocket type of meal. Certain Someone ate it in that quiet way without complaint. He admitted it was edible for fish.
Banana Leaf Steamed Salmon with Coconut Chili Rice
Salmon fillets cut to individual portions
Pieces of Banana Leaf cut to large squares to accommodate salmon and rice( available frozen in Hispanic Groceries)
1 cup or more leftover cooked rice ( about a 1/2 cup mound on each piece of fish)
1/2 cup of lite coconut milk( may use more of less depending on rice)
Sambal Oelek to taste
Juice of lime
grated lime zest
Fish Sauce( Asian specialty stores)
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
fresh cilantro
olive oil
Equipment needed ( bamboo steamer)
Oil lightly each piece of banana leaf. Set aside. Place salmon in dish. Squeeze lime juice and add grated zest of lime. Allow to sit for a few minutes. In a separate bowl mix coconut milk and rice until a thick paste like consistency. Add cumin, curry,fish sauce, and Sambal Oelek. Mix until thoroughly incorporated. Place fish fillet on oiled banana leaf. Add a mound of rice.Top with cilantro sprigs. Fold ends of leaved into a square to encase the fish. Turn over and slightly oil the outside. Place in Bamboo Steamer and steam for approx 20-30 minutes( depends on size of fish and servings). Serve with more Sambal Oelek as a condiment.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I'm so envious that you get to live in Chicago. And thank you for sharing about all the exciting things that go on there and the interesting ingredients you can get there. I'd hate to see what would happen if I tried to get a banana leaf here!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I wish I would have known you were going to be on TV, I would have been looking for your backside!lol
I'm sure your over exagerating!!
BTW, your salmon and rice look sooo moist!

Marq said...

I'm sure that backside is just as gorgeous as your dishes! The salmon looks great. I just wish my DH would eat salmon. The only time I can eat it is when I know he's going to miss dinner, lol.

Dharm said...

Glad to see you managed to post it on the RFJ! you seemed to be having some trouble... Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I love coconut with rice.

Pixie said...

Oh, this just looks so so GOOD. I really need to find some banana leaves, likely a trip to London is needed!

Deborah said...

What a beautiful meal! I've never cooked with banana leaves - I need to see if I can find some!

Thistlemoon said...

Why didn't you give us some forewarning about your TV appearance??!! I would have looked for you! :)

I am so glad you joined the Joust this month! best of luck!

glamah16 said...

Thanks you all. We were sworn to secrecy until it aired. Also I was only on like for a few seconds and you couldnt see my face, just the backside :-). Not my finest moment.

Jen said...

This looks simply amazing! And seeing the date, I'd better get my butt in gear for the recipe joust!

Megan said...

When is the reruns? I'll look for you. The salmon is so exotic looking. I want to play with banana leaves. What is Sambal Oelek? Is there a sub. or can I just omit it?

Heather said...

Girl, the only thing better than a juicy booty is a couture-clad juicy booty. ;)

I should enter my Coco Chowder. Your dish looks effing fantastic. I need to get some banana leaves for your tamale event, too.

glamah16 said...

Jen- This month is just slipping by.
Ben- I purchased the leaves to play with in the event. I went crazy in this store that caters to the Hispanic population.
Megan-Sambal Oelek is a chilipaste. So any type of chilipaste you find in the Asian Sections will do.
Heather-I was thinking of making the Ccoc Chowder soon as I have a lot of fish in the freezer.You should enter it. Im playing with using the leaves in the tamale event. I love them and they are easier to work with.

zlamushka said...

Glamah,
I am impressed. I always adored anything steamed in banana leaf. Never had salmon. Looks fantastic.I wanna come over for dinner.

Anonymous said...

I just saw that show! You were in it? Where? That's so cool.
Your fish looks wonderful and sounds exotic.
Buona Pasqua, Coco :)

Peter M said...

What a great way to package your salmon and present it, a fine Jousting entry.

I'll be looking for ya on Top Chef when it reaches Cdn. airwaves later this yr.

Anonymous said...

that image is fantastic!Great job...and good luck!

Emily said...

I'm going to watch Top Chef again, and watch for your back. That is so cool!!! You should blog about your experience at the cocktail party. Which appetizers did you like or dislike?

Way to take back your kitchen! This looks great!

Anonymous said...

Yes i'm watching Top chef again looking for an Issey Miyake behind! haha.
This sounds and looks fantastic!
Way to go!

Cakespy said...

Now this looks simply awesome--creamy, rich, and filling. I love coconut with rice--it sounds like a fantastic combination of flavors and textures. Yum!

SteamyKitchen said...

honey! love the idea of steaming rice and fish in the banana leaf....

ideas running wild in my head now...

jesse said...

My goodness, that looks like something I'd order in a restaurant and LOVE!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, tasty! That dish looks particularly great! I love such fragrant foods that make me travel virtually!

Cheers,

Rosa

ChichaJo said...

This sounds like a fantastic recipe! Yum! Love the coconut/lime/fish/rice combo! :)

Chou said...

I'm with everyone on the "lets rewatch it right now!" vibe. :) Yummy looking fish. My honey would LOVE this.

Anonymous said...

tasty looking fish! i'm not sure i'm going to make it in to the joust this month, but i'm definitely getting a lot of inspiration from everyone's entries.

Just a Girl said...

Real women are curvy. 'nuff said.

Why can't my store carry frozen banana leaves? *whine* sometimes I hate living in the boonies. Going to give it a try with parchment paper, though it won't look nearly as cool.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I love a good piece of salmon. Add creamy coconut and rice...YUM! Good job BTW

Gabi said...

Oh that looks divine!
Killa Salmon!
xo

Nina Timm said...

Wow, this looks delicious, I am up for some stiff competition, I see.