Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.12.2008

Matcha Mochi

I had no intention of staying home all day today. I planned to go into work after lunch after the cable guy came to fix our HD receiver. Well you know how those things go, and he came after the 12:00 deadline and stayed until 2:30 . Messed up my whole day. The productive person I am decided to run some errands,pay some bills, etc.While on the way home I stopped off at my favorite new neighborhood grocery for some fruit and things. I love this place because they have all sorts of International goodies to add to your pantry. I picked up some pomegranate molasses, Sharon fruit(a type of persimmon),Sweet Rice Flour,(Mochiko)coconut milk and such. All stuff to play with. I was intrigued by a recipe on the back of the Rice Flour Box.It was for a cocoa mochi. I have had Mochi before and found it odd. I have also seen some bloggers blog about it. My mind went racing and I figured I give it a go with some Matcha powder. I have been meaning to make something sweet with the Matcha other than ice cream I see popping up all over. Reading up on Mochi I found it can be very fun and innovative. Kind of like cookie making. I chose the non traditional way to make it and chose a microwavable version. I figured I could knead and shape it like fondant. Not! Nevertheless I was pleased with my results. I didn't have potato starch to dust it with , so I used confectioners sugar. I probably could have used the Sweet Rice Flour as well.I also used Cane sugar rather than white sugar, and more than the recipe called for( about 3/4 of a cup).The result at first looked like green gelatinous slime.As it cooled down it became a little more opaque. I dusted the bites with confectioners sugar and shredded coconut. And the taste? Yummy. I could munch on these sweet starchy nibbles a lot. Maybe next time I might add the bits to a ice cream. Cheap , fun, playing around on my unexpected day off.



Coco's Matcha Mochi



1 cup mochiko sweet rice flour(glutinous rice flour)
1 cup water
3/4 cup cane sugar
confectioners sugar or katakuriko, for dusting(potato starch)


1-2 teaspoons of matcha powder

sweetned shredded coconut

Directions


1)Mix mochiko, matcha, and sugar in a bowl. 2)Add water and mix thoroughly. 3)Put in a microwaveable dish. Cover with plastic wrap. 4)Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove plastic wrap. Cool until it gets to a workable temp.
5) Shape, roll, or cut into desired shapes.Mochi will be very sticky so dust with katakuriko or confectioners sugar to prevent mochi from sticking everywhere. I used a pastry scraper to cut it cleanly.Roll around when cooled in coconut and more sugar.

Check out the Update for the Tamale Open. Prize now available.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Heather said...

What a pretty dessert! I love mochi - I just tried it for the first time recently. It reminds me of Japanese marzipan (because of its texture and verstility). I bet these little matcha mochi balls would be the perfect thing after some sashimi. Mmmm.....

Marq said...

Mmmm, this sounds delish! Every time I visit your site I come across things I've never seen or heard of before. It makes me want to go out and try new things. That's saying alot coming from this southern gal! Thanks for this interesting post, Courtney!

Unknown said...

And here I spend my days off in my PJs, not even brushing my hair.

Coco, you put me to shame :)

Pixie said...

I've never heard of mochi; perhaps, we can pick some up while in London. (rice that is) am glad you enjoyed it!
oh and what a great prize you two are offering!

Claude-Olivier Marti said...

thank you very much for your sweet comment on my blog! Your french is good, no problem ;-) you could also write in english, it should not be a problem ! Your recipe sounds good, I like matcha! Have a nice day, cheers!

Peter M said...

I'm sure i could find all these ingredients at the Asian market...so much to try in there still, what with over 100 Soy sauce varities and such!

Swati said...

Hi Glamah

I'm here for the first time and loved every moment I spent here..
This sweet dish is completely new to me but it looks nice ..
See ya soon

Deborah said...

What a fun thing to do on your day off!!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I've never had mochi or heard of it until just now. Now matcha... I have bags of it in my pantry begging to be opened.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh yum, that's something for me! I love anything chewy and sticky!

Cheers,

Rosa

Susan said...

How cool is this?! I've been itching to make mochi, but was unsure how to pull it off. Some of the traditional techniques are very labor intensive. Microwaving is a great idea. This is just the nudge I need to go to Mitsuwa and buy that box of rice flour. Thanks!

Gabi said...

Wow I am going to have to try those- you are SO inventive! Can't wait for your tamale event!
x x x

Emily said...

Wow, I'm intrigued. I would never have thought to make these. I want some matcha!

Mansi said...

a colleague at work once brought these and I really liked them! thanks for sharing the recipe:)

jasmine said...

I love the colour--haven't heard of Mochi before, but will keep my eye out for it.

j

Dr.Gray said...

I love mochi. I have never heard of making it yourself (much less in a microwave). When I think of mochi I always think of the old Japanese way of pounding the rice with the large wooden mallet. A little intimidating. I was just searching around for some matcha recipes and this came up. I may give it a try.

Faune said...

hey~ great recipe! i tried it out and it turned out GREAT.. thanks so much! i wrote an entry about it here:
HERE if you'd like to read it.
thanks again!

Zach said...

I love mochi, and tried to make it once, but didn't have starch. Instead, I unwittingly tried to dust the dough with the Mochiko. What I didn't think about was the fact that the Mochiko and the dough was, get this, the same thing. What ended up happening is the dough absorbed the material meant to keep it from sticking and... got stickier. So I wouldn't recommend it. Make sure you have starch on hand!