Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.26.2008

Horseradish Pecan Crusted Tilapia

I hope those of you who celebrated Easter had a good one. I cooked a big meal which I didn't photograph. Nothing new just some roasted leg of lamb,potatoes,red cabbage, a patty pan squash casserole I concocted with ricotta cheese and pecan crunch, and a Cointreau souffle. We were so tired I didn't have the energy to write or photograph. Certain Someone really liked the souffle. It wasn't picture perfect but was tasty. We devoured 2 servings!I was depressed because I tried to make him Potato dumplings from scratch and failed miserably. That's one my 'Things to Master' list. I look forward to getting a actual tutorial this summer from his mother perhaps.
Anyway, Certain Someone has been burning the midnight oil all week. So its dinner for one. After last weeks flare up about the fish he admitted he would like me to buy more white fishes like Tilapia and Halibut. Sold! So I stocked up at Costco and put them away in the freezer. Two of the ingredients I played with over Easter were Horseradish Root and Pecans. I mixed grated Horseradish root into my sour cream. Wow! So I decided to play with it as a crust. Its actually milder than you would think compared to the prepared ones you buy in the store. But if your adverse to spice this wont be for you. Here is the recipe in a simple elementary form. This was for 3 pieces of Tilapia,so adjust to your servings using my ratios as a guide.

Grate 1/4 cup fresh Horseradish root(cleaned and peeled).Take 1/4 cup pecans and crush in spice blender. Be careful as you don't want Pecan Butter!
Add some of this flavored Old Bay(if you can get it).If not add Maldon Sea Salt, and any other spice of your choosing. Be careful with pepper as the Horseradish doesn't need it.Toss the crumb together.

Butter or oil the baking pan (go lightly as the pecans are a oily nut). Pat crumb coating on both sides of fish. As its a moist crumb it wont adhere easily. Pat it into the fish.Bake at 450 until done(approx 15 min). Coating should be golden.
I found the flavor almost crab like. It wasn't to peppery from the horseradish.I will try this on salmon and perhaps a cut a beef.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Peter M said...

Glam, the Cointreay souffle...you promise to post about it soon?

The crust for your fish sounds real good...I have horseradish, Old Bay and other nuts...could work out!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What a flavourful dish Glamah:D I saw Old Bay seasoning at the fish mongers:D

Anonymous said...

Intrigueing combination. I love horseradish, never had it with fish though. Will try it some day...

Deborah said...

I'm just starting to like horseradish. It's taken me awhile, but it's growing on me!

Thistlemoon said...

Nicely done, my friend! I love horseradish! This is a great use of it! Keep playing in the kitchen! I love what you come up with!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mmmm...the idea of spicy horseradish sounds great with the crunchy nut-encrusted fish.

Anonymous said...

You said...Cointreau souffle?!! AAHHHHHHHHHHHH
Why did you have to put this in my head? ..hehe. Gotta have it... i've got to have it soon!!!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I can't get my mind off that coitreau souffle! I'll be waiting for the post. But in the meantime this fish looks mighty good!P.S. Did you see Top Chef last night? That was my daughters neighborhood,she knows the pantry lady well. That was right on her street.

Pixie said...

Your dishes are always filled with such wonderful flavours.

Good luck with those dumplings, I'm sure you'll be able to master it soon enough.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, another great fish recipe! I love tilapia, horseraddish and pecans...

Cheers,

Rosa

Chou said...

Dinner at your house must be a blast. I've never heard "old standbys" float out like yours before. Yum!!!!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

i think horseradish would taste amazing in a crust. We get fresh tilpaia here in Ghana, not far from my place. Would love to try this out.

kellypea said...

I do completely understand how tired you must have been after all that cooking on Easter! I agree that thinking of taking photos and writing is something I usually don't want to do. I love white fish and have ordered tilapia in restaurants, but have never cooked it myself. The horseradish and pecans sound so good together in that breading!

Emily said...

The Easter dinner sounds fabulous. I agree with Peter-I want that souffle!

I really like horseradish but I hardly ever eat it. This is an interesting combination you've come up with.

Unknown said...

I love the mixture of horseradish root and nuts - great idea! And excuse me? Nothing new for Easter, you say, and then you mention cointreau souffle? Hello? You mean, that's "same ol', same ol'"? Wow!

zlamushka said...

I had a peak through your recipes, gosh havent been here for quite a while. Horseradish crust? omg, sooooo deliscious. I love the horseradish fish combo.