Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.08.2008

Hey, Ben And I Are Hosting An Event...Tamale Open!

A Cinco de Mayo event: Tamale Open


I have mentioned before that I love history. That’s why the celebration of Cinco de Mayo in the U.S. intrigues me. In Mexico it is not a big deal (only in the state of Puebla where the battle was fought) Cinco de Mayo is not even an official holiday. Maybe it was a big celebration in Texas because Ignacio Zaragoza, the general that defeated the French army, was born there when that state was still part of Mexico. Or maybe the fact that Napoleon III’s imperial forces lost for the first time was the biggest world news at the time (however, the French came back with more forces, took over the country and replaced the president Benito Juarez with an emperor) Whatever the reason Cinco de Mayo is a big deal in the U.S. we join the celebration, not with more history lessons, but with a food event. After all, food is what this blog is about.

My good friend Courtney from Coco Cooks made mole and tamales a couple of weeks ago. And that gave her a great idea, to celebrate the upcoming Cinco de Mayo with a Mexican food event, more specifically tamales.

She asked me if I’d like to co-host the event and I had to say yes. How could I say no to a brilliant idea like that? After several emails and idea exchanges we came up with the name (actually her Certain Someone did) the date and the rules for the event. If you are interested in participating in this event, this is what you have to do:

Make a dish using tamale dough. It doesn’t have to be just tamales. Tamales (like most Mexican dishes) are made and wrapped in many different ways and the dough is also used for casseroles, stews, and other kinds of dishes. So be creative when making your dish. Just remember that it has to be done with a corn-based dough.
For more information about tamales and tamales recipes visit these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamales
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/tamales.htm

Please include somewhere in your entry a link to Courtney’s blog and Ben’s blog and mention the event so we can get more people to participate.
Feel free to use the badge in your entry or sidebar of your blog with a link back to this post.
Send your entry to cococooks(AT)hotmail(DOT)com or ben.herrera(AT)whatscooking(DOT)com before April 30 including:

Your name
The name of your blog
Your blog URL
Your entry permalink

The roundup will be published on May 5,2008.
Update: Prize offering

After the roundup on May 5, vote for your favorite until May 10. Winner announced May 11.If winner resides outside the US , and there are shipping restrictions for the spice element of the prize, we will replace with another piece to go with the Indian Spice Box. See prize below.

The winner will recieve this great Indian Soft Hammered Spice Box and 8 spice blends(Tandoori,dried Thai Chilies,Sansho seven spice blend,Himalayan Pink Salt,Quatre Epices,Ras-El Hanout,Chipolte Chili Powder, and Panch Phoran). All can be used or stored in this nifty spice box which can also serve as your Mise en place when cooking.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Deborah said...

What a fun event! I've never made tamale dough, so this should be a perfect opportunity for me to try it!

Jen said...

Oh, this looks way too fun! And my DH loves tamales. What a great idea!

Heather said...

Okay I will totally do this. But I'm gonna go a different direction with my tamales this time so I don;t end up with tamale pie. :)

Megan said...

My husband has been asking for a certain recipe to be made and it calls for masa. Count me in.

Julius said...

Oooh sounds like a very fun event!

Tamales are hard to find in Vancouver, but here's a good reason to start looking. :)

Julius
from Occasional Baker

Pixie said...

This sounds like quite a challenge and I would love to try making my own tamales. Hopefully, I'll make it in time for this great event! Starred.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great event! I can't wait to see the entries! I love Mexican food!

Cheers,

Rosa

Chou said...

Hmm, I just might have to dust off the tamale making skills and try again!

Cynthia said...

No promises but I try my best to take part in event. It's a great idea!

Big Boys Oven said...

this is very very interesting!

Thistlemoon said...

Great idea for an event! Love it! You two are sooooo smart! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fabulous event, I can't wait to see what folks come up with!

Ari (Baking and Books)

Proud Italian Cook said...

This sounds wonderful and creative, but I think I'd be treading into unknown territory!lol

Mansi said...

sounds great!

Marq said...

Ooooh, I must admit I am a little intimidated as I've never used tamale dough before but I'm up for the challenge! Count me in!

Gabi said...

Dang- I missed the deadline on this- I was thinking roundup date I guess!
Oh well maybe next time :(
Hope you get a huge turnout-I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with.