Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

12.06.2009

We Bake Bon Appetit...Day 6 New England Molasses Gingerbread Cookies



I really need my weekend to bake. One little thing can throw your game off. Happily I received my latest Springerle from House On the Hill. I became
obsessed with these molds a few years back. Last year while reading Martha Stewart's Living Magazine, she featured a few Springerle from House On the Hill, a local vendor. The irony is that I could not find these in Germany. Its a lost art and those that have them use them for wall decoration if anything. Here is my first attempt with Springerle last spring. You can use the molds for cookies, cake decorations, and even ornaments. I decided to use mine in New England Molasses Gingerbread Cookies For Day 6 of our 12 Days of Cookies from Bon Appetit.

The recipe states these cookies are not so crisp but more tender and cake like. I was worried it wouldn't be stiff enough for my Springerle mold, but it held up very well.

Forgive me not using the cutesy Gingerbread Men, Would you believe I don't even have a cutter in that shape? I did make other traditional Holiday shapes , however. This recipe yields a lot and my mold for the Christ Child with Angels was very large. I still didn't manage to use the third disc, and put that away in freezer for later use. The mold is a Medieval reproduction based on a work Stuttgart's Wurttembergische Museum.

Sprigerle molds are tricky and when using a dark dough, I used oil to paint in every crevice to get the detail, rather than flour or confectioners sugar. The dough was soft and crumbly and you really had to press or lightly roll with a rolling pin to ensure the detail. Releasing was very tricky, but after a few attempts I got it.



I decided to take out my other mold , even though it wasn't as Christmas like. These would make stunning little token gifts. When cooled I brused gold luster to highlight the detailed work.
You can find the recipe here.


Also this may be of interest to some of you if you like contests.
Enter to win a 12 Place Table Setting For the Holidays!



Be sure to visit the other bakers:


Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Chris said...

These look Fan-Flippin-tastic! :) Great job!

RJ Flamingo said...

You come up with some of the most amazing things, Courtney! These look incredible!

(Must be Firefox giving me so much grief, trying to leave comments here. Bizzarre!)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nice cookies and pretty shapes!

Cheers,

Rosa

The Caked Crusader said...

wow - you've got such a crisp impression! Beautiful biscuits - stunning moulds!

Michelle said...

I love Sprigerle molds but I don't have even one! Love the design you have and the mold itself is so cool!

Nice to see something so unique and well done!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These cookies are very beautiful Courtney. I may not want to eat them and just admire them...mind you my hips would be happy about that:D

Di said...

Those look amazing!

Claire said...

Wow - I love the molds! I don't have a wide variety of cookie cutters either....I'll need to pick some up for next year. But these make the cookies so gorgeous and intricate!

Y said...

Those look great! I've always wanted to get a Springerle mold.. or two :)

Jeanne said...

What gorgeous cookie moulds - and what delicious-sounding cookies!